Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new on here and I don't know if anyone has asked this yet but I haven't seen anything similar in the searches.

Anyway, I have a 2005 Suzuki Swift ZC11S with the M13A engine from Japan, mated with the P30 manual gearbox having the electronic speed sensor. Lately I noticed that it has developed the infamous input shaft bearing problem. I know it's a common problem and I was told that even if I repair it the probability is it will manifest itself again. So I started thinking of replacing it with a more robust gearbox, namely the ZN2 or ZN5 from the 1.5. Some searching I did is indicating that the ZN2 has the electronic speed sensor while the ZN5 doesn't (is this correct?), so I ruled out the ZN5 gearbox.

Then I started looking into the gear ratios for the different Swifts because I read that the ratios for the 1.5 are a bit longer, and when I saw the 57KA gearbox from the Swift Sport I was surprised to see that while the 1st and 2nd are similarly geared, the ratios for the 3rd, 4th and 5th gear are geared lower than the stock gearbox (when taking the Final Gear ratio into consideration). This started getting me excited and I started looking to see what the differences between that gearbox and mine are.

Looking at the schematics, I am seeing that the only difference is the speed sensor ring (No. 21 in the schematic and No. 6 in the differential exploded diagram).

Also it seems that the differential shaft has a groove in it that seems to be able to accommodate this speed sensor ring (mine on the left, SSS gearbox on the right).

Does anyone know if this speed sensor ring would fit the 57KA and if it fits, would the gearbox then work and correctly show the speed on the standard Swift (after transferring the sensor to the other gearbox)?

Also would the stock driveshafts be compatible with the 57KA gearbox and is there anything else that I might have overlooked in order to make this gearbox work with the M13A engine on the ZC11S chassis?

Thanks a lot for your patience in reading about my crazy ideas :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
No idea on swap, but speed sensor correction electronics are available, so you don't have to change things when you find a box that suits.
This is just one type
yellr.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply.

Yes but those devices work only if there are the sensor signal pulses, then they modulate the pulse frequency tricking the ECU to think that the ring is rotating faster or slower (depending on use). In this case if there is no ring there is no signal from the sensor so the signal would still be 0.

Thanks for pointing that out. Do you know how I can change them to public so they can be seen?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swift 1.3 (P30) to 1.5 (ZN2) gearbox swap

So, as a followup to this thread for whoever would need to do the same in the future..

In the end I decided to buy a ZN2 gearbox and hope it fits. From the homework I did I saw that the bolt pattern to the engine block is the same, as is the clutch and the inner CV joints. It's basically a straight swap, except I had to do the below minor modifications:
  • Buy a new control lever brackets to match the new gearbox. Basically the brackets for the 1.3 and 1.5 gearbox are different;
  • Shorten the passenger (left) side driveshaft by approx 1 cm as it was slightly too long for the new gearbox;
  • The mount used to be fixed to the gearbox by 3 studs/bolts forming a triangle. In the new gearbox the triangle is inverted so now instead of fixed with 3 bolts it is holding on with 2. Shouldn't be a problem though.

Gear ratios are unchanged to the old gearbox in all gears so you wouldn't feel down on power in any gear. Also speedometer works perfectly.

Finally, after such a long time hearing that rattle in the lower gears it felt so quiet driving it :) Hopefully, now the gearbox should remain problem-free for the remaining lifetime of the car :)

I hope this comes in handy for whoever needs it ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I’m looking to swap my 1.3 petrol engine into the 1.5, could you tell me how you shortened the driveshaft and what control lever brackets you have changed please

1 - 8 of 8 Posts