Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 sx4. A week ago, while driving, i saw panel lights come on, specifically the "abs" and "brake". Then the radio cut out. Actually the radio cut out first before I noticed the panel lights, but it was FM so I thought the signal just cutout for some reason. Then the A/C turned off. I had just pulled in to my driveway, so I turned off the car. It actually gotten really quiet so I thought it has died, but i think the engine just dropped to around 500 rpms pulling into the drive. I tried starting it again and there was no turn over at all. A couple hours later I tried again and it started and it started, but things were blinking so I turned it off. The next morning it would just rapidly click when I tried to start it. Put a multimeter to the battery and it read 1188. Autozone proclaimed it dead and I got a new one. New battery in and car started right up but would idle below or at 500 rpms and stalled randomly for a couple days, but then the idle corrected itself a couple days ago. However!! last night the same thing happened. Control panel lights came on, some things were blinking. It happened at night during rain and so the wipers slowed down too.

After the new battery install, I didn't ever turn the AC back on, but its light on the dial would flash. Would the AC pump be affecting this electrical issue? I haven't pulled any fuses to look at things. The one ground from the battery that I found is solid and clean.

Thanks for any help of thoughts.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,678 Posts
This is a computer controlled vehicle,, low voltage makes strange things happen, have a qualified diagnostician test the car..

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
And get charge output from the alternator checked too

·
Registered
882 Posts
..I have a 2008 sx4....
Great...write that down in your signature so we know each time..and add mileage, model (hatch or sedan) trim, transmission, AWD?...all details that can help in your future posts. and ,maybe, your location in the USA.
ANd yes, obviously a low voltage issue. Alternator failure is a frequent topic with this car. Notice the 11.88V you got from the battery was in a no load condition...it was dead from exhaustion..turn headlights ON or try to start and voltage would have fallen drastically. THe last runs you have made after the new battery installation were solely on the battery...and possibly, the other battery could have been charged and good for some time, What was its age? A discharged battery is not necessarily a dead battery....now you have a good new discharged battery.
EDIT: by the way...do you have a battery charger ? not for a permanent fix, but it can save the day...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts