Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2011 SX4 new in Barbados, right hand drive. It has been trouble free. It started making a noise when turning. I thought I should check the fluid and it doesn’t have a reservoir as it is electric power steering. Any advice what I should be doing next?

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
You need to describe the noise, what is it doing? What symptoms? when does it do it? cold? warm? only when moving? stopped? details are important. Anything else based on your post will be a guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a 2011 SX4 new in Barbados, right hand drive. It has been trouble free. It started making a noise when turning. I thought I should check the fluid and it doesn’t have a reservoir as it is electric power steering. Any advice what I should be doing next?
It is always 30c in Barbados. The sound is like a rubbing sound and happens when I turn right. I did a test in am empty parking lot and it also makes a sound when turning left. The sound always seems to come from the passenger side. The car is right hand drive so the sound comes from the foot area on left side. I took off the wheel and can’t see anything rubbing.
Thank you

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
does it do it when stationary? or only when moving.
Describe the "rubbing" sound. Without hearing exactly what its doing its hard to tell. It could be dirt in the brakes, suspension, tyres, almost anything.
Electric steering motor is on the rack just where the steering comes thru the firewall so I doubt that is the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sound is similar to the sound a loose fan belt makes when you start a car with that problem. No noise when stationary. Only makes sound when turning right going faster then 20 KPH. I switched/rotated front tyres and no change. Thinking perhaps bearing but not a grind more of a squeal. I am going to raise the car and see if the bearing spins freely. Thank you

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
check for binding disc pads, or worn pads as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sound is coming from behind the glove box. It happened while stationary and must have something to do with AC fan, I can hear water swishing now. This is a new problem and I am adding information as I listen and learn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved. It was a clog in the drain hose from the evaporator. Turning right (right hand drive) caused the water to contact AC fan. I am not the first to experience this and my assumption it was steering related was premature and wildly incorrect. Thank you for your help. I am loving Suzuki. Jimmy, SX4.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Glad you found the issue.
Amazing what a bit of diagnostic work does. We started with "wheres my steering fluid reservoir" and finish with a clogged heater drain hose.
Certainly one of the stranger ones I've helped with, but someone will look at it and go "hmmm....maybe...." and find the same thing.

Well done.

·
Registered
862 Posts
.... someone will look at it and go "hmmm....maybe...." and find the same thing....
Yes..this is precisely the purpose of the forum....maybe solve one's problem...but helping others down the line....(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts