Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16v with the OEM belt driven fan. I had no overheating problems but have not driven in hot weather yet, still wanting to go with an elec fan. I would rather not dump $200 on a fancy aftermarket fan but would prefer to find something from a wrecking yard that has a decent fit and lots of power. Overkill is probably ok as I am adding AC.

What have you guys used?

Also I am adding AC but I don't have a condenser fan, for those of you with AC is a nasty overkill elec fan on the radiator enough for both or will I still need a fan on the condensor? I am taking steps to get the AC to work as well as possible, including R12 rather than 134. Who has experimented and what have you found?

Im SOOO close to being done with this vehicle, all the hard work over the last year is about ready to net a (hopefully) well sorted vehicle.

Thanks!!

Tony

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have replaced my belt driven fan with a electric and have had absolutly
no overheating. I pulled an old fan from a dodge caravan and plumbed it in with a switch on the dash so if I go through high water I can shut the fan down so it doesn't splash water on my electrics.
grats

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to do just that, I read that some of the Subaru fans fit well and suck plenty of air. I plan on an override/force on switch but had not considered a kill switch, maybe a good idea. I also want to use the 2 speed setup.

I decided to use a separate condenser fan and set that up to kick on with the AC as it was from factory.

Sounds like I'm taking my tape measure and Samurai to the wrecking yard next weekend to go fan hunting. I am glad to know that it has kept things cool for your rig.

Tony

·
Registered
181 Posts
Definitly put in a kill switch, if you do any water crossings shutting down the fan will stop water splashing on top of the engine where the electrics are,
also the creek, river etc, will cool the rad down anyway. I was able to bolt aluminum homemade brackets to the original rad housing, whatever you do DO NOT USE TIE STAPS THROUGH THE RAD to connect the fan to the rad.
I've seen on some of the horsepower shows where they use plastic zap straps. Using this method will only damage your rad because the straps will tear the fins due to vibration.
grats

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats good to know, I have an aversion to water crossings where I cant see the bottom. I'll have a 3 position switch for override, normal operatin and kill as you make a good point about water splashing.

I don't use zip ties, do not, hate em!! Im glad you pointed that out though because the fact that they are included in the fan kit would imply that they are ok to use but I just could never bring myself to do it. I plan to weld tangs to mount if I have to. I hear the the Subaru fan fits 3 of the 4 bolt holes already there.

Tony

·
Registered
80 Posts
all sammys with factory a/c have a small electric fan in front of a/c condensor it pushes the air and the fan for radiator pulls. my 87 sammy has factory a/c.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts