Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
93 Kick , 1.6L 16V 5speed Thorley header

Fuel pressure , timing , cam timing , sensors all check GOOD per FSM , plus new CAPs in ECM.

PROBLEM:
Car has a SLIGHT dead spot right off of idle and misses when trying to "PUTT" in 1st or 2ed gear between 1,500 to 2,000 RPM .

WHAT I FOUND:
I blocked the vacuum line BEFORE the EGR modulator ..... runs perfect.
I hook the line back up and plug the vacuum line AFTER the EGR modulator ..... runs perfect.
Hook the EGR back into the system , miss an flat spot return.

My question:
Should the EGR have an effect on the engine at this RPM range?
Is the modulator or temp sensor allowing the EGR to open too soon?
If the EGR is not hooked up , will the temperature sensor "LIE" to the ECU
because it is not getting hot?

Thanks (I hope)
Lon

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
No I'm fairly sure that it won't.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
The EGR on your car is not connected to the ECU at all (unless you are a California car which had the thermoprobe in the EGR valve prior to 1994), so you will get no EGR codes (even if the EGR is dead). I believe that the EGR is not operable at either idle or at wide open throttle. Presumably you have this 'dead spot' even when the car is in neutral and you rev it through these rpms, so that you can watch the EGR while you are doing this? In any event, if you are just pulling the hose to the EGR while you are testing, I imagine you are introducing a huge vaccuum leak, which should noticeably raise your idle rpm with the hose pulled??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bex
It is a California car. I am not just pulling the hose , I am plugging it.
I was out putting around the back side of the dairy farm today , 1,000 to 2,00 RPM ,
1st and 2nd gear. no flat spot off idle and good throttle response.
Now I need to remove the second catalytic convertor and see it that is the problem.
Thanks
Lon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts