Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i found a complete 91 geo tracker on the classifieds and was considering grabbing the parts necessary to swap the EFI fuel injection into my 87 samurai: Also, I am not familiar with the tracker so WHERE the parts are is also important!

Can anybody offer advice on what I should get from it? And/or what difficulties i may encounter. I have yet to determine if it is the 16V or 8V.

the parts i have in mind, tell me if im missing something:
-complete harness
-distributor
-coil
-igniter? were is this found?
-Map sensor - where is this on the vehicle?
-computer
-fuel pump
-complete manifold with injectors
-VSS, where can i find this on the vehicle?

I'm just throwing this out there, not positive if i'll be making the trip or not but hopefully someday i'll get there.

Lastly, with this conversion, is passing emissions going to be easy?

THANKS!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
An 8V has a steel rocker cover and throttle body injection, the spark lugs are at the side. A 16V has an alloy rocker cover and the spark plugs in the centre of the cover. The 16V also has '16V' on the rocker cover and timining cover and is MPI.
You will need the ECU and the main and fuel pump relays mounted next to it. The VSS is inside the speedo head and is fairly simple to transfer to the Samurai speedo. The MAP sensor will be mounted on the bulkhead, there is a small filter in the vacuum line, make sure that you get that too. Grab the charcoal canister and piping too and the exhaust manifold with O2 sensor. You will need an electric fuel pump if you have a carb Sammy. With the full EFI set up you shouldn't have any problems passing emissions, are you fitting the 1.6 engine too?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for chiming in!

I have the samurai 1.3 carbed right now. Any idea if the intake and exhaust manifolds will bolt right on? I have a nice aftermarket header right now so i'd like to keep that if i can and just plug the tracker o2 sensor in it.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The manifolds bolt up but the 1.6 has larger inlet ports. On my SJ the 1.3 exhaust manifold was a good match for the 1.6 head.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the 1.3L manifolds bolt right up to the 1.6 8V head and vice versa. The 1.6 16V head needs the 16V manifolds and the 16V manifolds won't work on a 8V head. If you are doing a multipoint from a later 16V then you need the intake manifold, the fuel rails, the head and the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I don't think that they made the 16V in 91.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts