Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy good Friday! I was wondering if the ECU is the same on a 1996 automatic two wheel drive tracker as a 97 or 98 four wheel drive 5 speed?

There is a nice 96 parts car available with a blown rod, just wondering how many under the hood parts would be swappable? I'd imagine the engine block is the same as 97 and 98 and could be rebuilt if the rod didn't go through the block, is this correct? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
They have different model numbers. While a rule of thumb is that the auto ECU will run the manual tranny car (and not the other way around), I can't be sure that a 96 auto will run a 97/8 manual. You may want to PM Rhino to see if this swap would work.

Reactions: mrchinup

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Bex!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The 96 uses an electronically controlled 4-sp with a separate TCM,if you use an auto ECU in a manual then you'll get a bunch of fault codes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 96 uses an electronically controlled 4-sp with a separate TCM,if you use an auto ECU in a manual then you'll get a bunch of fault codes.
Thanks Rhinoman, I wasn't sure if I could use it as a backup, thanks for helping out.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Didn't see any reference to a 4 door so, are you talking about a 2 door or a 4 door Tracker? I think the Suzuki X-90 used the 4 spd but not the 2 door Tracker, but I could be wrong; have been before. :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Didn't see any reference to a 4 door so, are you talking about a 2 door or a 4 door Tracker? I think the Suzuki X-90 used the 4 spd but not the 2 door Tracker, but I could be wrong; have been before. :)
I think that you're correct, I forget that the US had the 3-speed auto after 95.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm sorry I should have specified, my trackers are 97 and 98 4 wheel drive 2 doors, not 4 doors. I'm going to have to put that under my name to make it easier. Thanks

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I'm sorry I should have specified, my trackers are 97 and 98 4 wheel drive 2 doors, not 4 doors. I'm going to have to put that under my name to make it easier. Thanks
Do you need a 97 ECM? There's a '97 2 door convertible, 16v, 4wd with manual trans at the local boneyard. I just pulled some parts from it yesterday.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Do you need a 97 ECM? There's a '97 2 door convertible, 16v, 4wd with manual trans at the local boneyard. I just pulled some parts from it yesterday.
I don't need one, there was a beautiful parts car with a broken rod I was thinking of buying yesterday but it's gone now. Had a bad morning at the DMV didn't call in time, you snooze you lose.

I was just wondering what parts would match up with my 4 wheel drives, 2 door model. It was an automatic 2 wheel drive 2 door, kicking myself now for not calling early in the morning, didn't think it would go so fast, it was a nice one with a perfect body from what I saw in the pics. Could you tell me how to put the trackers I own on the page at the bottom of your posts? It's probably right in front of me, just don't see it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
Go into the control panel (User CP) link on the left, and add your info into your signature.....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to post something to see if I did it right. Thanks Bex!

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
Yup...well done...;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts