Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help pleeeeeeease.
Hi everyone. I have an early 2000 registered Jimny (UK model OBD1 diagnostic plug) and am having real difficulty solving a fuel pump issue. I was driving the car and it suddenly stopped without warning. Got it home and suspected the fuel pump relay(green plug) as it wasn't priming (although I guess that wouldn't make it stop when running). I pulled the plug from the ecu relay and the spades inside the connector just fell apart. It has 3 orange wires, (1 normal gauge 2 very thin ones), a blue one and a blue one with a solid black tracer. before I can start to diagnose what made it stop in the first place I need to get the wires onto the relay in the correct order. I've managed to sort out the blue and blue/black ones as they came off but stayed in the plug so no probs there but the orange ones have got me flustered. do the two thin orange ones go together or is it a thin one with a thick one and if so does it matter which one? Any ideas anyone? please help me fix the best 4x4 I've ever owned (60,000 thrashed miles in my ownership) and I've owned loads of different ones, Land Rovers Range Rover, UMM. Portaro, Lada Niva, Renault 4 4x4, Fiat Panda etc etc. Thanks

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Workshop manual only shows the 2 orange wires so can only say a thinner one will be for the relay coil and the larger one the main supply. I'll search a little more ;).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Thanks Darrel, Yes you're quite right. That 2nd thin wire is really throwing me. I specifically remember there was one orange wire going into the plug and another spade in the block had 2 orange wires attached to one spade in the block. My poor Jimny has been off the road since May but as I was banned from driving it hasn't been an issue, banned for health reasons I hasten to add not for doing 130 mph in my Jimny whilst being chased by the police down the local trunk road. Hoping to get my licence back very soon so need to reapply myself to fixing the poor thing. Thanks again for helping out with this, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
8,400 Posts
Rule of thumb for relay wiring, the heavy wire is for the supply and load, the control wires may be lighter gauge..

... Philip

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well things have moved a little but not much. Whilst looking under the bonnet today and cursing my lack of ability when it comes to electricity I found the spade with 2 orange wires from the block connector that fell apart after the car stopped working. It only had a very short tail of wires attached to it but it definitely has one thick wire and one thin wire attached to it. Now guess I just need to work out which of the thin orange wires should be the one that shares the terminal with the thick one, assuming it makes any difference. I am thinking that this wiring even when fixed will not be the reason it stopped in the 1st place and maybe it will turn out to be just coincidental that the wiring from the relay was all green and crumbly. Now I'm just even more confused and wondering if it will ever go again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone, the saga continues. I tested the ecu/fuel-pump relays today and the spares I purchased 2nd hand from Ebay some time ago. They all 'click' when putting power to them but none of them seem to put power out. this seems really odd and the chance of having four not working seems very slight. However, I have discovered that they are 40 amp relays and I know how to test them with my multi-meter. I have also discovered that a Subaru low-beam relay has the same Nippondenso number on it. Unfortunately I can only find 2nd-hand relays at anything approaching a reasonable price and have no desire to mess about with old electronics. I have found these waterproof relays
12V 40A 40 Amp 4pin Automotive Relay Socket Holder Waterproof Relay & Wires and am hoping they will do the job. Anyone any opinions if they will do or not?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts