Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 sx4 has had the engine light on for a few months.An MOT tester has told me that new rules will make this an instant fail.
Does anyone use a code reader that plugs into the obd socket?
I have an obd cable that plugs into a pc.Is there an ECU program I can download?
The engine light went off for 3 days when i fitted a new battery.Performance and fuel economy seem unchanged.......Thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
the easiest move is to buy a code reader.....you can have a basic one..gives code number ...for around 50$...but we do not know where you live nor details about what you drive.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
You will be doing your self a disservice in buying a code reader, spend wisely and get a live data scanner..

Codes do not support a fix, just a direction for diagnosis, most often shot gunning parts based on codes just cost you unnecessary money..

...Philip

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Would a code tell me what the fault is and therefore what part needs replacing?
they give an indication as to the issue, and as Aquanaut said, do not indicate which bit is faulty, you need to follow the diagnostic flow charts for that to determine the likely culprit.
I have an interesting case in point, I have another make throwing a TCC solenoid code, and i have now proved its in the wiring loom, after the owner has replaced the torque converter, and the solenoid at substantial cost. My checks proved it was intermittent and since running an ugly piece of wire from the trans to the ECU, the fault has not come back in 2 months and 5000 kms. So codes help, but do not indicate the faulty component.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it looks like I need a data scanner.Can anyone recommend one?I assume they come with instructions on how to use them and interpret the data.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
If you have a smartphone, you can get an app pretty cheap. I then spent $15 for an OBD to bluetooth adapter.
yeah, they are ok for basic stuff, but some of the codes they give are pretty generic and only as good as the guy that programmed the chip. Not all ELM27 readers are the same. I have one thats next to useless for diagnostics, but great for running Torque to monitor the basic gauges while driving. It all depends on what you want to be able to do.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
I am a fan of Autel scanners, have several from basic to pro, for quick use an android tablet and torque pro.

For in depth diagnostics I employ a diagnostic oscilloscope..

… Philip

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
I am a fan of Autel scanners, have several from basic to pro, for quick use an android tablet and torque pro.

For in depth diagnostics I employ a diagnostic oscilloscope..

… Philip
I find Autel and Foxwell to be on par, with the Autel scopes and readers being slightly better if having to do waveform stuff.
Cant beat 4 channels when looking at O2's or CKP and CMP trains along with injector triggers ;) Makes diagnostics a lot easier.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Yes, I have an 8 Channel scope but rarely use more the 4, mostly 2..

With the new vehicles on CAN bus, difficult to fix/diagnose without..

… Philip

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Agreed. Worth the money if you can afford one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts