Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1995 Geo Tracker LSI 2Door Convertible 5speed 4wd 1.6liter 16valve. MANUAL Trans! Its The Computer.. that wont start my car.. off and on.. Does Anyone know how I can obtain this part number.. I will have to buy it off the internet Thank You.. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
24,211 Posts
Why have you ascertained that its the computer? Have you tried to get a code 12 from it?
Check Engine Light
What exactly is your car doing when it doesn't start? There are 3 capacitors in the computer - worth about $5 - that dry out/leak. Somewhat cheaper than actually buying a new computer. But first we need to know what diagnostic testing you have done to make sure that the computer is at fault. There are MANY other things that will prevent the car from starting reliably.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mechanic rebuilds these cars.. he got a few of them sitting in his lot and he drives them.. he says its the computer .. he says thats what happens after a while.. car is old and got a lot of miles.. he cannot get one for me here in Myrtle Beach.... and its cheaper if I do it online.... I buy most of my parts and bring them to him to install.. he does not have diagnostic machine..This is what it Does.. Turn Key.. Lights go On On Dash.. and Nothing.. Have to Try Several Times for it too Start.. Only Does that when its been sitting for a lot of Hours.. ONce I get it started and run into store. or leave it off for a couple of hours.. It Starts Right up.. Engine runs Fine when its on.

·
Super Moderator
24,211 Posts
Hmm....Sorry, but I cannot believe that he rebuilds these cars, if he does not have a 'diagnostic machine' for getting codes.....considering that all you need for these cars is a metal paperclip to jump a connector in the engine bay. Read the link above, which shows you exactly how to do this. And then....my suggestion would be to find another mechanic, actually.
When you turn your key to the on position, does your check engine light on the dash go on?? This is the computer's self check, and if it goes on, chances are the computer is working correctly.
I would venture to say, considering your last post here:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/110562-1995-geo-tracker-manual-start-problem.html
that everyone is guessing, and so far no one has followed Aqua's advice.
Since you have now bypassed the clutch safety switch, when you go to start the car, what does it do? Dash lights on, any clicking? Have you tried jumping the starter to see if the starter will crank? Again, easy enough to do by removing the small spade connector at the starter, and jumping that connector with the big lug that has the wire that goes to the battery - does the starter then crank?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes.. he does rebuild them.. im in rural SC no sidewalks and no transportation.... and I have to Walk to Him After I Drop off my Car. he is Close by... Problem is.. all the Mechanics rob u here.. he has been the best one.i have gotten ripped off before... he has done all the work on my car. he replaced the radiator.. hoses, belts.. did a bearing job on one of the tires.. he is cheap.. he is A Little Lazy.. but they all are here in the South. U can bring them ur Car and a one hour job can turn into two days.. Very Lax Here.. When I Start the Car All the Lights on Dash Go On..but it Wont Turn Over Until I Try it Many Times.. Cold and Wet is a Factor.. this started 3 Weeks ago.. the Starter is Two Years Old.. from Autozone.. and they checked it last week. by hooking it too battery... they guy said it was Voltage Regulator.. My mechanic says NO.. I went to Oreilly Auto.. and Advance.. and all of them say.. they cannot check my car with diagnostics cause its too Old.. But My Check Engine Light always Stays On.. since I got the car in 2011.. I have done whatever I can to keep it nice and working.. I cannot afford to go into a new car loan.. and the engine on this thing Purrs like a Kitty.. I was lucky in that respect. I always check my fluids and I drive slow.. I don't beat this vehicle Up. I need it too Last.. I hear that Clicking Sound.. Which is the Computer..it clicks when I start the car. .then stops .. and can click at any given time.. while im driving... I cant do that starter thing on my own.. im gonna go over to autozone again.. and have them Check Their Part.. I have a warranty on that thing.. two years old..

·
Super Moderator
24,211 Posts
I suppose that this post is not the forum for me to discuss 'empowering' yourself. If your check engine light has been on for 2 years, and your mechanic has not attended to this....well, you can try yourself. It is incredibly easy to do, and I assume that, the South notwithstanding, they have metal paperclips there!! If you read the Check Engine light link in the earlier post, you will be able to follow the instructions easily. Autozone or O'Reilly's will NOT do this for you!!
Again, there are a number of things under the dash that can click - it may very well be your computer - or it could be the wiring/power running to it as well. Of course, it is certainly your choice to choose to spend $100-400 on a replacement computer, along with the possibility that this does not solve the problem.
Your computer is located just behind your left front speaker. If you stick your head up under the dash in that area, you will see the bottom of it, which will have a sticker on it that says 33920-XXXXX. It's the X's that will give you the model number - chances are your model number is 33920-70EA0

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I suppose that this post is not the forum for me to discuss 'empowering' yourself. If your check engine light has been on for 2 years, and your mechanic has not attended to this....well, you can try yourself. It is incredibly easy to do, and I assume that, the South notwithstanding, they have metal paperclips there!! If you read the Check Engine light link in the earlier post, you will be able to follow the instructions easily. Autozone or O'Reilly's will NOT do this for you!!
Again, there are a number of things under the dash that can click - it may very well be your computer - or it could be the wiring/power running to it as well. Of course, it is certainly your choice to choose to spend $100-400 on a replacement computer, along with the possibility that this does not solve the problem.
Your computer is located just behind your left front speaker. If you stick your head up under the dash in that area, you will see the bottom of it, which will have a sticker on it that says 33920-XXXXX. It's the X's that will give you the model number - chances are your model number is 33920-70EA0
If it's a nag light, doesn't that have to be corrected prior to extracting codes?

·
Super Moderator
24,211 Posts
Yes, absolutely. If Cindy tries to get the code 12 from the computer, and the light does not flash, it still may not be that the computer is bad, but could be that the service engine soon function has tripped on the car at a set mileage on the odometer, which will preclude any code reading. If that's the case, she needs to find the 'nag' switch - most probably behind the dash in the direction of the left front speaker, and slide the switch to the other side, and then see if she can get the code 12, or any code, from the ECU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts