Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help figuring out what is happening here. I have a 1987 samurai with (supposedly) a 94 tracker engine. The 1.6L 8v. Last summer I went a bit too deep in a puddle and a bit of water got in to the engine and the ecu/ecm ended up under water and not working. So I had to rebuild the engine, that seemed to go smoothly. So I got a new ecm for a 94 tracker, and tried to start it, but it wouldn't work. Has compression, spark, and fuel only up to the injector. But the injector won't let fuel past it, and into the throttle body. I checked the injector and it's fine, and then figured out that it wasn't getting power from the ecu. So I checked the ecu and realized that the old one and the new one are different. Completely different. The old one is the one that used to work, but after running the serial number its telling me it's from the 89-90 tracker, and that it's incompatible with the 91-95. So either the engine is a 89-90, or I don't know. So I don't know what route to take. I'm thinking I should just buy the ECM for the 89-90 and see if it works, but don't want to waste more money on something that won't even work. Or maybe I could find somebody to rebuild it for me? The serial number for the old one that worked is 33920-60A32. I just need some opinions on what to do.. help me..

·
Registered
467 Posts
have you opened the ECU to see if its in fact fried? Capacitors leaked?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I need some help figuring out what is happening here. I have a 1987 samurai with (supposedly) a 94 tracker engine. The 1.6L 8v. Last summer I went a bit too deep in a puddle and a bit of water got in to the engine and the ecu/ecm ended up under water and not working. So I had to rebuild the engine, that seemed to go smoothly. So I got a new ecm for a 94 tracker, and tried to start it, but it wouldn't work. Has compression, spark, and fuel only up to the injector. But the injector won't let fuel past it, and into the throttle body. I checked the injector and it's fine, and then figured out that it wasn't getting power from the ecu. So I checked the ecu and realized that the old one and the new one are different. Completely different. The old one is the one that used to work, but after running the serial number its telling me it's from the 89-90 tracker, and that it's incompatible with the 91-95. So either the engine is a 89-90, or I don't know. So I don't know what route to take. I'm thinking I should just buy the ECM for the 89-90 and see if it works, but don't want to waste more money on something that won't even work. Or maybe I could find somebody to rebuild it for me? The serial number for the old one that worked is 33920-60A32. I just need some opinions on what to do.. help me..
Give specifics on your truck. yr model engine size auto or std. cuz the ECUs are diff. esp auto & std.
Then list the part # from both ECUs the old & new.
Do you know if the capacitors in either have been replace?

Some reading here
My ECU is bad, now what?

Search the forum using the # for the old ECU (60A32) for other ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if it is actually fried but I tried to drive it home after the incident and on the way home,which is about a 10 minute drive at most, it stalled a few times, and I only made it half way before it wouldn't start at all and I had to tow it.
It looks to me like capacitor c3 may have leaked, and I just realized there is specs of mud all over the board.
I have a 1987 samurai special edition, 5 spd manual. From what the guy that I bought it from told me, it is a 94 tracker engine. 1.6L G16a, 8 valve. The block says g16a but I haven't read the serial number on the block because the header is in the way, but I'll do that tomorrow.
The old ecu, the puddle one, is gold, and serial # 33920-60A32.
The one that I bought after the rebuild on ebay is gray and serial number 33920-56b51
I don't know if any of the capacitors have been replaced on either

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The old ecu, the puddle one, is gold, and serial # 33920-60A32.
The one that I bought after the rebuild on ebay is gray and serial number 33920-56b51
I don't know if any of the capacitors have been replaced on either
That explains it you either need to replace the caps in the 60A32.

Or find a replacement 60A32 which has already been done.

33920-60A32 is the part # (PN) for your ECU.

Is your CEL lite on with key on and off when it starts?
Also check it for codes first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do I know what specific caps to get, and where to buy them?
The check engine light does not come on at all..come to think of it, I've never seen it on.. so perhaps it's burnt out or something..
I will check it for codes tomorrow and update you

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
I would think that if your ECU was completely under water, changing the capacitors may not help. Your 60A32 is from an 1989/90 manual tranny Trackick, and that is what you need. Starting in 1991, the ECU governed spark, but before that, you had a stand alone distributor that controlled spark on its own. Only the 60A32 will run your car. You may want to take your 60A32 to your local computer geek to see if the water damage can be rectified, but frankly, this is like throwing your laptop into your bathtub, while it's plugged in. Would you be hopeful that it would continue to work?? :(
Just curious - what is the model number of the replacement computer?? It will be easy enough to sell it, to get your money back (and pay for the replacement 60A32)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You make a good point.. after the incident i dumped a good amount of water out of it lol. I will take it to a geek today and hope it's possible..
I bought the replacement for a 94 tracker because that's what I thought I had. Part Number is 33920-56b51.
I was planning on selling it, perhaps someone on this forum would want to buy it.. Price will be good. I'll look around. Or put it on ebay or CL.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is indeed what it looks like, thank you. So now after two years I've found out I in fact do not have a 94 engine. I guess that's what I get for buying a car off ebay. . Thanks for the help. Once I get my ecu repaired or get a new one I'll let you all know if it works.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
What's your location in Michigan? I'm in Toledo.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well if you want it or know anybody that does, send them my way or message me for contact info.
Sent my 60A32 to a repair guy today. We'll see how it goes..

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Well if you want it or know anybody that does, send them my way or message me for contact info.
Sent my 60A32 to a repair guy today. We'll see how it goes..
No, don't want it (ECM), just trying to get rid of some of my stock. Just thinking if you needed one, and could get here, we could try out a few. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I also have a few ECUs kicking around at my Oregon House...I can check numbers if you end up needing a new one.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I would think if you had water in your truck high enuff to to cover the ECU that you will encounter other water related problems. Just keep that in mind later.

Question - during the engine rebuild did you run into problems or confusion when ordering parts for a 94 engine?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts