Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing about an intermediate shaft... what is this?

P.S. I don't have a samurai yet or I would just go look. (I do a LOT of research before I buy stuff, I try to learn as much as possible.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
on samurais the transfer case is divorced from the transmission and the transfer case actually sits around a foot behind the output of the transmission. the intermediate shaft is a drive shaft that connects and transfers power from the transmission to the transfer case. looks just like a driveshaft with u joints but is very short.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on samurais the transfer case is divorced from the transmission and the transfer case actually sits around a foot behind the output of the transmission. the intermediate shaft is a drive shaft that connects and transfers power from the transmission to the transfer case. looks just like a driveshaft with u joints but is very short.
Oh o.k. cool, so I guess that puts the transfer case closer to the center of the vehicle then... The front and rear driveshafts aren't by chance the same length, are they?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
yup,
but the good part is that if you lift the vehicle and have to lengthen the driveshafts, you can actually shorten the front a little and put it in the rear. most shaft shops charge more to lengthen them than to shorten them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts