Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, wondering if anyone can help...

My 2004 Carry 1.3 petrol had the EML on for ages with DTC P0137 which is related to the o2 sensor (low voltage). I couldn't clear it as it would immediately come back on. It wasn't affecting drivability so I ignored it for as long as possible. Then the MOT was due...

So I replaced the o2 sensor and cleared the codes. All good for a few weeks until then EML came on again, this time with DTC P0136.

Assuming the o2 sensor is good (brand new, OE quality), what should I be looking at? A quick Google suggests a damaged wire or corrosion, but if it was either of those surely the EML would stay on permanently? I can now clear it and it will stay off for around a week or so before randomly recurring.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Carry? I have also read on Google results that it may be an issue with the ECM programming...??

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Downstream O2 sensor low volts. P0137 is similar to P0136 code

Common causes are

Faulty oxygen sensor
Short on voltage to O2 circuit
Exhaust leaks
Fuel pressure very high or low
Engine running very rich or lean

Check for air leaks, split vacuum lines, stuck EGR valve, Fuel pressure and shorted wires. output volts on sensor should be 0.4 to 0.9 and slowly oscillate as mixture alters as ECM adjusts it. Given it resets then comes back, i'd be looking at fuel trims and sensor output on a scope and see what its doing. I am picking you have an air leak somewhere or fuel pressure issues thats intermittent causing mixture to drift.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
May I suggest when you clear the code the issue is still present and the ECU requires a particular drive condition to activate the MIL...

You need to confirm the wiring to that sensor is viable and can carry a load (not just a reading on a MM)..

.... Philip

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for responses guys, some good things to check.

i have already visually checked over and can see no obvious issues such as split pipes or damaged wires.

what i find weird is that, there is not consistency to when the EML comes on. it can either be every journey, or not for weeks on end. very strange :mellow:

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
thanks for responses guys, some good things to check.

i have already visually checked over and can see no obvious issues such as split pipes or damaged wires.

what i find weird is that, there is not consistency to when the EML comes on. it can either be every journey, or not for weeks on end. very strange :mellow:
as I have advised, conditions must me met for IM test to run (=random)

Wires MUST be verified with a loaded circuit... MM does not fulfill that requirement.

... Philip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts