Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI this is my first post on this site. I am an avid do it "yourselfer" in electronics and can do a lot of modifactions and additions to my vehicles. I recently purchased a new Forenza EX wagon and learning the basics about the car. I discovered how to disable the DRL's so that when I add my new HID lights I will not have to worry about the low voltage until the true headlights are on.

This is how it works and how easy this is:

1. Look underneath where the hood release latch is.
2. There is a black box attached to a metal bracket.
3. There is a plug that the wires are facing towards the firewall
4. Disconnect that plug and there you go, no more DRL's

Becareful when disconnecting the plug it is in an awkward position and you don't want to break the connector. After I disconnected the plug my headlights will only turn on with switch on the steering wheel. No need to run any wires for the parking brake, an no loss of any other functions for this vehicle.

Thanks and I hope this not allready posted

·
Registered
811 Posts
Originally posted by rosadmr@May 18 2006, 01:55 PM
HI this is my first post on this site. I am an avid do it "yourselfer" in electronics and can do a lot of modifactions and additions to my vehicles. I recently purchased a new Forenza EX wagon and learning the basics about the car. I discovered how to disable the DRL's so that when I add my new HID lights I will not have to worry about the low voltage until the true headlights are on.

This is how it works and how easy this is:

1. Look underneath where the hood release latch is.
2. There is a black box attached to a metal bracket.
3. There is a plug that the wires are facing towards the firewall
4. Disconnect that plug and there you go, no more DRL's

Becareful when disconnecting the plug it is in an awkward position and you don't want to break the connector. After I disconnected the plug my headlights will only turn on with switch on the steering wheel. No need to run any wires for the parking brake, an no loss of any other functions for this vehicle.

Thanks and I hope this not allready posted

Oh man, you are a hero! Heh, we were trying to figure this out for a while now here on the boards. We had schmatics and whatnot and nothing was really making sense.

Kinda sad that it is so easy and we couldn't figure it out....LOL.. I'll go try this today when I take the pup to the vet

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes, this does indeed work. :thumbsup:

It should be further specified that (at least for me) the connector was black AND blue. (Blue inserts in clip)

Simply tilt the clip towards you, being careful not to break anything, and it'll unclip from the base and you can wiggle it out.

So far there are no side effects from this that I've seen. But it's only been a couple minutes. I'll be going out now so I'll know if anything else happens.

Nice part is that the dash light for the parking brake still works as normal AFAIK.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have the Reno and it worked just fine. You have to go under the dash where the hood release is and look for a metal bracket. It'll have a bunch of relays connected to it.

One of these have four wires on it that point toward the firewall. The clip is black with blue inserts. Just unplug the clip and voila!

I'll see if I can get a couple pics for clarification.

*Edit* Here ya go

Before

[attachmentid=1541]

After

[attachmentid=1542]

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Finnally. I am not going to "turn" off my dl's but it is good to know how to do it anyway. If you guys are curious why I am not, its more because of safety as they let other people not paying attention when they are driving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by jurupa@May 22 2006, 03:44 AM
Finnally. I am not going to "turn" off my dl's but it is good to know how to do it anyway. If you guys are curious why I am not, its more because of safety as they let other people not paying attention when they are driving.

http://lightsout.org/ This organization has a lot of arguments against DRLs period, saying that they do not promote safety and whatnot. not a bad read though I'm unsure how true it all is... I just know that I'd like to put a hid kit in by mid summer and I like the way the reno looks without its drls on a lot better.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by dr3wrocks@May 23 2006, 11:08 AM
http://lightsout.org/ This organization has a lot of arguments against DRLs period, saying that they do not promote safety and whatnot. not a bad read though I'm unsure how true it all is... I just know that I'd like to put a hid kit in by mid summer and I like the way the reno looks without its drls on a lot better.
What idiots. I have never seen any DRLS that blind me at all... I see no ill effects. On the other hand the advatages are little and its pretty much just something for the dealer to say as a selling point

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Originally posted by kinkyllama@May 23 2006, 08:52 PM
What idiots.  I have never seen any DRLS that blind me at all... I see no ill effects.  On the other hand the advatages are little and its pretty much just something for the dealer to say as a selling point
These have been standard on school busses for the longest time. They never blind, and are like half power then the regular light setting. Infact, They have helped. I've seen cars in weird light conditions alot sooner then I would normaly.

Weird IE tunnels, twilight, realy patchy tree shadows (the type that look cool as the car goes by, but merder on a drivers vission)

That being said, I did diable them, cause of my silverstars

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Originally posted by dr3wrocks@May 24 2006, 05:58 AM
I will agree with them though, that high beam DRLs are irritating. At the right intersections they can be rather blinding.
Our DRL are low beams btw. You can easly look directly into them with no problem. And Most DRL's are low beams anyway.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Originally posted by jurupa@May 24 2006, 11:41 AM
Our DRL are low beams btw.  You can easly look directly into them with no problem.  And Most DRL's are low beams anyway.
If they are highbeams, then that guys has eather A: modded or B: needs to calibrate his head lights

·
Registered
115 Posts
ok i have a problem. when i un hooked the drl's the lights went out just fine but when i tured on my car the engine light started flashing???????!!!

so i re pluged the lights in and the light went off? are you guys haveing this same problem?>?? :( :(

robert

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Originally posted by Ibr-Forenza@May 25 2006, 10:43 PM
ok i have a problem. when i un hooked the drl's the lights went out just fine but when i tured on my car the engine light started flashing???????!!!
so i re pluged the lights in and the light went off? are you guys haveing this same problem?>?? :( :(
robert
No. Your car is rebelling. Get armed militia payed for by the profit of selling drugs to richer nations to quelch the infidel

·
Registered
243 Posts
Originally posted by Ibr-Forenza@May 26 2006, 02:43 AM
robert

Nope... Did mine a few days ago and everything is fine...

·
Registered
537 Posts
well my light came on too but not only that my hold button was flashing so i decided to take my car up to my work and get the obd code see what it is

gere is a clip of where its at and the light flashing

·
Registered
537 Posts
well my light came on too but not only that my hold button was flashing so i decided to take my car up to my work and get the obd code see what it is

here is a clip of where its at and the light flashing

[attachmentid=1588]

[attachmentid=1587]

update i went to my store and checked it out but nothing came up it was on but nothing

here is what i did i shut off car plugged it back in

reset code unplugged relay-plug turned car on and viola light turned off and drive it for about half and hour and no problems here all is good

1 - 20 of 65 Posts