Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is and isn't a mechanical post. In late May I am doing the unthinkable. Taking my 97 Sport on a 6,000 mile journey. It has about 160k now so what's another 6? She's a bit rusty, but reliable. I have already removed the back seat and will be taking out the front passenger seat to make room for the platform I am building for my camp cot, oh yeah and my Sidekick is also my Hotel:p
I am driving from Northern Indiana down through Illinois,into Missouri and onto I-40 (route 66) all the way to LA. After a week or so it's up the Pacific Coast to Portland to see my brother for awhile. Then back to Indiana, unless I decide to take up residency somewhere else along the way.
I've made this drive 3 times and LOVE IT more each time. Though I never drove it in something as boxy and without cruise control so that has me worried. Another thing I worry about is the engine, while it doesn't leak oil or have any issues it is old and I'm worried running at 70mph long distances that she will just blow up!
Have any of you taken long trip in your Sidekick or Tracker? If so please share your adventures.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No cross country opportunities but I regularly take mine downstate to bring my daughter here and back. 350 mile round trip twice every 2 weeks and often out through the worst winter storms and till 3am. Knock on wood it's been very good so far. And very fun to drive too.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I have taken a 2 door, 3 speed on a trip to Utah (from Portland Oregon). You get used to the motor buzzing along at a fairly high RPM.

A "Sport" model is the most highway friendly of all TracKicks. Bigger motor and overdrive transmission (with the Auto) with the only down side, for a highway car. being a little heaver. As long as you do as much of the preventative maintenance before you leave.

What time frame are you thinking you'll be in Portland area? I might be able to put together a "proto-type" junkyard cruise control for your trip home.

In an earlier post I stated ALL TracKicks had wiring for the stock cruise... seems some do not... While my '89, 94 and '96 all do, the one I really wanted (my current driver, the '92) does not have CC wiring... Oh well, I should still be able to tap all the needed signals at or near the transmission computer connector.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That should be quite the journey! I have only owned my '95 Tracker for a couple weeks, but I picked it up in Bedford, IN and drove it back to Carlinville, IL (5 hrs). That trip was A-OK except for the fact it had a tiny "cheech and chong" steering wheel and that was kinda different on the interstate (Mario Kart!). I live right on Old Route 66 if you need any support come May!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This is and isn't a mechanical post. In late May I am doing the unthinkable. Taking my 97 Sport on a 6,000 mile journey. It has about 160k now so what's another 6? She's a bit rusty, but reliable.
I would suggest AAA Gold or Plus (100mi radius) for those unplanned events. They will also help you get a rental car should the unexpected happen (you can add car rental to your insurance plan to get most of the rental fee covered).

You can also get maps along the way but my other suggestion would be to get a Garmin AND to Update the maps before leaving. The templates they ship with are old and won't have some of the newer streets or other search items loaded (gas stations, restaurants, etc.).

Go for the Lifetime Maps and Traffic. The Traffic needs a special power cord.

btw - I would take Mike up on the CC, surprised your Sport didn't come with one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone! Heinz, the Cheech N Chong steering wheel gave me a good laugh! Kept thinking of the "you can keep knockin' but you can't come in" scene :)

m000035, I have also thought about trying to install CC before leaving, it would make the trip so much more comfortable and economical. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I think I'll look further into that once the 8" of ice melts in the driveway. I'm not sure when I'll be in Portland, probably late May. I need to figure out first how to find if my car is pre-equipped for it some how, I also can't believe it doesn't have cruise as most sport do, but it also has steel wheels so...
And yes for this trip I'm seriously adding AAA and rental insurance, its a small investment to not be stranded. THANK YOU for suggesting that!

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I drove my adult son and myself from Saint Louis, Mo to Phoenix Arizona by way of Colorado and Utah, in my 95 2dr 16vlv. We camped along the way so it was packed pretty tight. To be honest, I was scared for the old car the whole way.

Then we drove back via Texas,etc. Never had a problem. 2 years later I made the trip again, but stayed in Phoenix this time. Again no issues. My car now has 150,000 miles. I am not sure what it was when making the trips, but could not have been much less.

I am really interested to hear about m000035's CC project. I have the old AudioVox CSS100 on there now, but it stopped working awhile back.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
That sounds like it will be quite a trip, we will be requiring photos :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts