Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi its probably a stupid question but can you drive on the normal road with the 4x4 locked in i have a 97 sierra not that i would just thought id ask if you can and what it would do if if you did as this little shit from next door locked my hubs once thanks guys

·
Registered
20 Posts
From what I've heard it causes excess wear to your front tyres and also the axle at the front isn't as strong as the one at the back so it also may damnage that.

Also if you do sharp turns, say into car parks etc. you may notice shuddering as the front wheels won't be able to spin as freely therefore slide a little and most tyres don't slide too well on road surfaces!.

Basically if it's a short strip of concrete or something whilst your out 4x4ing for some reason then you don't need to worry about it, but city driving in 4x4 isn't a grand idea. I'm always paranoid about people locking my hubs on me. Although seeing as you wouldn't actually be engaged in 4x4 from the transfer case I don't know how much damage that could cause before one noticed it. I presume less then if you were engaged in 4x4 with the wheels locked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does that mean that having the hubs locked but 4WD gears not engaged doesn't cause issues? Or are there just more issues caused if the gears are engaged as well as having the hubs engaged?
(New owner as of a few days ago :D)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well as far as I understand how diff's work... if both hubs were locked but the 4x4 wasn't engaged at the transfer box the wheels should still be able to turn at different speeds, therefore only causing unwanted wear on the axle (if any and theoretically). But I'm certianly not saying go take your 4x4 out and try it, I might be wrong! I just don't think it would cause as much damage.

Also I only think that because one of the big reasons you get excess wear and stress on the axles and tyres in 4x4 on ashphalt is cause the front and rear wheels are spinning (driven) at the same speed. Cars and vehicles that have 'all wheel drive' or 'permanent 4x4' often have a third diff instead of a transfer box like most 4wd's which allows the back and rear wheels to spin at different speeds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts