Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to the Samurai world, I hear comments about how reliable they are if you don't thrash them. So I'm curious, with a stock 1.3, what rpm would be considered "thrashing" when shifting?
what rpm do you use as a shift point?
the only 4 cylinder comparison I have is my son's 86 civic, with 150k, and that thing runs like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
'Thrashing' is a relative term, I would expect most people to rev to around 4000rpm when attempting to 'make good progress'. These engines are designed to rev so its not an issue. many vehicles on here are modified so gear shift points may be quite different.
A Civic is considerably more refined and has a lot more sound-proofing.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would switch it to a Honda mill in a second if it were an easy swap. The stock 1.3 feels coarse to me, I agree that 4k, is a reasonable shiftpoint for driving unless your in top gear and flying down the superslab. I have the 16v 1.6 MPFI and I'm often at 5k+ on the highway and it's a great engine but still no Honda.

I drive our Honda like a GSXR and I drive the Samurai more like an R1100GS . I respect the Samurai as being reliable and utilitarian with many uses but I would not ring its neck all time like you can with a Honda. VERY VERY few road going cars will take the abuse your Civic will. A Civic is the benchmark by which all compact econocars should be judged.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great comments. Thanks. I knew it was a general question, but I was looking for general answers. I just didn't want to be too far off center either way. I'm not a lead foot driver. I have been using 3000-3500 to shift.
I like the comment about the 1.3 feeling coarse. That's a perfect adjective for how I was thinking.
And I know it and the civic are two different animals. It's just the only thing I've had to compare it with.
I'm used to driving v8s.
thanks for the perspective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts