Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was driving along the highway the other night doing about 90km/h (~55-60mph) when out of nowhere the car acted as though the brakes had been put on lightly, and a horrible grinding/clunking noise started across the back. pulled over and theres oil pouring out from around the rear driveshaft on the transfer case. anyway got the car towed home, jacked up the rear wheels and put it in first gear, jumped underneath to have a listen... the sound is coming from the front part of the rear diff, but with the car off i can spin the wheels and no noise. decided to try spinning the rear drive shaft by hand with t-case in neutral... makes the noise, but the shaft also slips at points, so im pretty sure ive stripped a few teeth inside the diff somewhere...

long story short, i want to know how much work is involved in rebuilding the transfer case with a rebuild kit using new seals and bearings, then how much work is involved rebuilding the rear diff centre, if i buy 2nd hand (good condition) gears, plus a rebuild kit with new seals, bearings, etc...? remembering that im not a qualified mechanic, i only know bare basics... can it all be done with very limited knowledge and basic tools?

and yes, ive double checked the uni joints, was the first thing i checked when it first happened...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you can get a hold of a good used differential, just replace the whole thing and don't bother with changing out the internals from the used one with your broken one. Put your new seals and bearings on the good used one. There's a good chance that teeth have broken off and chewed up other things (cracked case, side gears...) that you might not notice or have parts for replacing.

I'd recommend doing the same with your transfer case for the same reasons. Saves a lot of time and hassel since you have to pull them out anyway. Changing out the gears can be done by someone with average mechanical aptitude. Doesn't take a rocket scientist, but you will need a gear puller, torque wrench, and a press or bench vise to do the rebuild.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im fairly sure the transfer case is fine, just the seal is stuffed... oil is all clean where its leaking.
as for the diff, as you said if the teeth have been stripped, then theres a good chance the loose bits have stuffed something else up... may as well do wheel bearings while im at it. they dont sound too great, and the seals around there have developed a bad leak... dont know how long ago, could have all happened due to low oil :( it was next on my to do list once i had the money...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flicking through the FSM, it says under "services not requiring transfer removal", front input seal, front output seal, but not the rear output seal, which is the one needing replacing in my case... can it be done without removing the whole case?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
either that, or are there any specific tools needed to replace the bearings, or can it be done with basic hand tools??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts