Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Esteem GLX Auto

Wondering if anyone has had to replace their seals for an automatic transmission where the cv shafts enter.

I just changed both cv shafts and the right side (passenger) of the transmission is pretty much free flowing fluid where the shaft enters. I've removed and re-installed 3 times with no change. Still flowing.

I did notice that where the cv shaft goes in, its just the metal casing, nothing that resembles a seal, a bearing, nothing. So I assume that I either damaged what previously kept the fluid from leaking during removal & installation, or when I removed the old shaft the seal pulled out with it and I didn't notice (I did confirm that the cores didn't have on them with O'Reillys), or there never was a seal to begin with (but why wasn't there a leak with the old shafts).

So it seems that I can only conclude that I need a seal for the passenger side of the transmission. I can't locate them in the catalog and none of the parts stores say they carry them, even the Toyota/Suzuki parts department here cant identify them.

If anyone can point me in a direction, I would be forever grateful.

But I did have idea while typing this.... I recall that the space between the drivers side inner cv and the transmission is maybe an 8th of an inch, while the space between passengers side inner cv and transmission is about half an inch. Is it possible that the drivers side cv is in the tranny too far, forcing the passenger side cv out? Is this possible and would it explain my symptoms?

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
447 Posts
My 2000 Esteem GLX wagon had to replace the drive seal on the passenger side and it was an absolute horror show. Napa could not provide the correct seal, after two attempts I gave up on them. I even had the number of the old seal off the old seal, given to me by my mechanic.

Suzuki was no better, the first one they got was wrong also, off in size big time. I was unaware due to no outline at the time.

My mechanic reinstalled the leaking one while these attempts were made to get the correct seal by me. He had to do this a few times to allow me to drive and source the new seal. A tad aggravating I must say.

To get the correct seal the outline of the old seal was made for a better chance of success to check at the parts man's counter. Initially I had nothing to check the new part for comparison, so would come back with the new part (incorrect it turned out), however with the drawn outline I could tell at the parts dealer straight off if it was wrong. The seals from Napa and Suzuki were way off, with the outline it would have been easier to know right away that the seal was incorrect. The outline was only provided after the second incorrect seal was sourced.

During all this I had the number of the seal off the old seal and still got the wrong seal from Napa and Suzuki. After getting the wrong seal from Suzuki, I ordered one from another parts store, this time giving the make and model of the car and the parts man looked it up in a seal supplier catalog and finally got the correct seal on his first attempt. He had to order it which took half a day to get. I called Suzuki and cancelled the one I ordered from them the second time. Their error caused me a lot of grief, and lots of driving.

Since you do not have the old seal I would suggest you take a measurement of the outside diameter where it fits into the transmission and the diameter of the output shaft where the cv shaft goes into the seal. Also coat the outer edge with RTV silicone when fitting the seal, with cleaning the mating surface to insure no leaks.

I looked up to see if anything showed up on the seal at www.partsouq.com for the seal tonight and saw it listed, you will need your vin number for an accurate search. My wagon is a 1.8L and I believe yours is a 1.6L so giving you info of my part number would not be a help to you, they could be different.

I could tell from the image on Partsouq.com that the seal with the flat side faces outwards and the spring faces inwards, towards the transmission.

I will call my parts man to get the seal number and supplier for your car if you wish, send me a private message. I have a suggestion about your wiring diagram also.Your car may not have a seal but I highly doubt it.

Again it was something I don't wish to repeat and had blocked out successfully, only for you to remind me of the very unpleasant repair.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts