Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this mainly for others who encounter this issue.

I replaced the battery on my 08 SX4, which probably reset the memory. As a result, the engine would not idle; it stalled. So I had to drive with one foot always on the gas, and since the car has a manual transmission, I ran out of feet.

I couldn't figure it out, so I took the throttle body apart. It was pretty clean, no problems there.

So by trial and error, I figured out that I needed to retrain the drive by wire throttle. I sat in the driveway for about half an hour, foot on the gas, holding the revs around 500 (almost stall). Eventually, the car adjusted itself and the revs began to oscillate on their own. I took my foot off the gas, and the car's good to go.

So don't take your car to the mechanic for this one ;)

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I'm posting this mainly for others who encounter this issue.

I replaced the battery on my 08 SX4, which probably reset the memory. As a result, the engine would not idle; it stalled. So I had to drive with one foot always on the gas, and since the car has a manual transmission, I ran out of feet.

I couldn't figure it out, so I took the throttle body apart. It was pretty clean, no problems there.

So by trial and error, I figured out that I needed to retrain the drive by wire throttle. I sat in the driveway for about half an hour, foot on the gas, holding the revs around 500 (almost stall). Eventually, the car adjusted itself and the revs began to oscillate on their own. I took my foot off the gas, and the car's good to go.

So don't take your car to the mechanic for this one ;)
relearn is accomplished by
disconnect battery 10 mins
reconnect, turn ignition on DO NOT START OR TOUCH PEDALS
wait 45 seconds MINIMUM
start car
should idle, go for a drive, will take approx 3 days of general driving to reset all ofsets.

The first 45 seconds before start allows throttle body and throttle to detect closed. Wide open and 7% offset (idle) position. (as long as gas pedal is in normal idle position.)

While your method worked, it was the hard way of doing it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
relearn is accomplished by
disconnect battery 10 mins
reconnect, turn ignition on DO NOT START OR TOUCH PEDALS
wait 45 seconds MINIMUM
start car
should idle, go for a drive, will take approx 3 days of general driving to reset all ofsets.

The first 45 seconds before start allows throttle body and throttle to detect closed. Wide open and 7% offset (idle) position. (as long as gas pedal is in normal idle position.)

While your method worked, it was the hard way of doing it.
Throttle recalibrates itself as 2013GV said.:D

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
yeah, not something they put in the owners handbook unfortunately.

people usually just change the battery, start and drive off and everything comes right on the drive home. it takes 10 mins for the ECU to reset so unless your battery replacement guy was being slow, its unusual for the car to lose the settings, but it does happen.

its pretty much the standard method for Suzukis after a battery change, allows everything to "reset" and you may also find the ESP light on for the first couple of hundred metres until it works out steering angle sensor position. That system needs straight ahead and wheels rotating to sort itself out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts