Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know if both drain plugs and fill plugs on diffs/transfer/trans are the same square 10 mm size. I recall seeing a smaller size on one of them and don't know if I'll need an 8 mm socket as well.

thanks for the helps

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
All that I have seen are 10mm. Some might seem smaller, but they could have been damaged by the use of a 3/8 inch drive to remove it. (Not something you should do unless replacing the plug.) I had problems removing the plugs until I got an impact driver. Seems everyone likes to use adhesive on the plugs when all they really NEED is sealant.

Some of the plugs on my kicks have been replaced with hex bolt type headed plugs.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Service manual doesnt call for it...tighten to 23 pounds

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The first manual that came to hand was a '94 Tracker manual. It calls for "Loctite pipe sealant GM P/N 1052080, or equivalent, to the threaded portion..."

I am fairly sure the plugs I have problems removing had RTV on them. (So I do not think that is a good idea.) I use normal pipe sealant... the white tape or dope, nothing that will glue the plugs in. I'd like to remove them sometime in the future!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
owner's manual calls for suzuki bond 1215 which apparently is some silicone ala rtv. Just going by nissan experience on same application. Are the plugs pipe thread? never really used teflon tape on those.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rats!

I wish I'd have seen this post sooner. I just posted my days experience trying to get those plugs out today!
Ten millimeter square drive holes? Is that correct? I have been trying to use a 3/8" extension and ratchet on those. I wonder if that is why the front differential fill plug is pretty much stripped out.
Dang things are really stuck in there.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
--- Also posted in DryCreek's thread, but was being discussed here. ---

Something odd about the use of sealant in the instructions in the '94 Tracker FSM. It seems to be called out for both plugs on the transfer case and the drain plug on the REAR differential, but is NOT mentioned for the rear fill or for either plug on the FRONT differential. hummmm.... I'll have to compare with my other FSM's when I have time.

I'll also need to look at the design(s) of the actual plugs (and the torque specs) in the places with sealant is and is not called out.

Hadn't really paid THAT much attention before.....

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
Many people try the 3/8's and strip these plugs - these cars are metric - there is nothing on them that's imperial!
Strangely (and I haven't paid much attention to it either) my 91 FSM does not call for sealant on any of these plugs, but it advises that on front/rear diff, the drain plug should be torqued to 17ft/lbs and the filler plug to 30ft/lbs. The tranny/transfer case shows 21ft/lbs......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad I found this, was going to tackle these this weekend as well. What are you going to use in the transfer case?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
... What are you going to use in the transfer case?
No stinky stuff in the transfer case!

The gear oil used in the transfer case (and manual transmission) needs to be "yellow metal safe." This pretty much means "GL-4".

Most SYNTHETIC GL-5 is also yellow metal safe... most NON- synthetic GL-5 is NOT yellow metal safe to to the sulphur based additives... it also makes the gear oil "stink."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks Amazon!

OK, just received this week - an 8mm and a 10mm drain plug socket. Will drive that rascal to get the metal hot and see if I can't wring those plugs out of 'er.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts