Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read all I could find on this subject but have a few questions. I noticed that in 1992 the the Kick went from a three piece dash face plate (With single Din) to a one piece. It looks like the 92-96 has a Double Din opening. Does anyone know if the 92-96 bezel will swap out with 89-91?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,383 Posts
I understand that it is possible, with modifications. You apparently have to remove the ash tray, the support bar for the ashtray, etc. The dash dimensions itself is the same. However, this may be an alternative….see post #2 here:
I think PJF has other posts about this, with photos, somewhere on the forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bex. I did look at the Digital splay SD units but most go up and block the AC controls. Some of the digital display types can be adjusted down but may interfere with shifter. I’m also concerned about their longevity due to the kicks ride.
I believe a DD will fit easily especially the new Sony units but it would require chopping up the original bottom faceplate or buying a 92+ hoping it fits AND stil having to do cosmetic mods at the AC/Heat controls. So I’m back to using a SD head unit. I guess I was hoping that someone had discovered a workable solution or that a manufacturer of dash kits had a remold that lookEd OEM but took a DD.

Thanks again for responding.

·
Super Moderator
26,383 Posts
You may want to PM PJF, who put in the retractable display. I know that he recently had a post about it, with photos, but can’t quickly find it. He might advise you about how it worked out for him…..I think it was him. I do recall seeing photos of this, but can‘t find them now…..

·
Registered
803 Posts
yes, you could call PJFs solution "retractable" :) :whistle::coffee:

·
Super Moderator
26,383 Posts
yes, you could call PJFs solution "retractable" :) :whistle::coffee:

That’s not the thread I was looking for. Maybe it wasn’t PJF, but someone was showing their retractable display that, IIRC, pulled out and up from the single DIN…..

·
Registered
803 Posts
now for a more serious comment, i considered DD and retractable too,

DD can be installed by removing the bottom console center plastic part, loosing of course the ashtray, clock, lighter socket.... no biggie if like me, you dont smoke.

BUT, in 3rd and 5th gear the lever is going to be in the way, and worse, display sits really down low, makes you take your eyes off the road big time, unsafe if you are following a map for example.

All newer cars have those displays installed MUCH higher.

The only place id consider putting a big display (DD or tablet) is above the air outlets but sticking out towards inside a good 3" for easy touch reach, using the cavity on the dashboard as attach point for a DIY solution.

Whatever DD you buy, make sure that it can run Android Auto, so it essentially mirrors your phone, GPS included.

Retractable ones will simply cover your climate control buttons and also the air outlets as well as sit still quite low.

"a manufacturer of dash kits had a remold that looked OEM but took a DD"

for a +25 year old car? not likely....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts