Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side door won't open from the outside have to crawl through the passenger side. When I just pull the interior door handle it won't open either. When I pull the door handle and push the circled area the door will open. Is there an adjustment I can do? Do I need to replace that whole locking mechanism or the door??

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Factory Service Manuel has an exploded view of the door parts (fig 20-1-1), could start there to see if everything is hooked up right. I don't see the z shaped bar that goes to the ext handle, but it could be hidden in your pic behind the window guide. Did you check down in the bottom of the door for any loose parts?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Can't tell from the image, but the door lock assembly tends to get corroded and doesn't work smoothly or binds. What I have done is spray PB Blaster heavily on every place where two or more pieces come together, including the lock cylinder. Try to work everything back and forth to remove the corrosion so that each part moves freely. Might want to loosen the lock latch so that you can clean up the back side some. Then spray with brake cleaner to help remove the PB Blaster and finally spray with some PTFE dry lube spray. Amazing how easily the key lock works after a good cleanup.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had an issue with the latch on one of my Samurai. About the same as you are having, but my door panels are still on, so I couldn't reach in to work the latch manually.
The latch has a "stop" formed in during the stamping, which limits the travel, when you pull the handle(s). Over time, the latch release profile (among other things) gets worn and the stop prevets the release from moving far enough to disengage the lock. I took the latch out, "adjusted" the loose parts with a hammer (the housing widens from wear and the rivit hole wallows out, adding to the problem) , ground a little material off the stop with my die grinder and it works like new (well, almost new).
I don't know if that's what you problem is, but its worth looking into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts