Suzuki Forums banner

Door Locks keep locking

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  GARTHPARRISH 
#1 ·
For about a week my door lock would keep locking even after car started & while going down the road . Was so bad couldn't open doors from inside car manually .Took it in for service ,oil change etc. & ask tech to diagnose problem $ 60.00 . they could not find fault but said my battery wasn't holding a charge . what can you do so $ 180.00 got a new one & I think I still have same problem .

#2 ·
I think I still have same problem .
Let me ask you this question - why would you expect anything to be different?

they could not find fault but said my battery wasn't holding a charge
They haven't found the fault, and the battery was replaced because of a different issue - I can understand that you might have hoped a new battery would solve the problem, but, the fact remains that the fault was not found and no corrective action taken, so you should expect to still have the problem.

You're going to have to find someone who is going to work to track the fault down and fix it ...

- do you have an aftermarket alarm that locks/unlocks the doors - that is one possible cause.
- did the car come with the OEM keyless entry - that is another possible cause
- faulty key fobs for either of the above is a possible cause
- the driver's door, and possibly other doors if they have lock cylinders will have switches that are inputs to the lock system - those and the related wiring is a possible cause
- the BCM (body control module) if your car has one, or the lock controller, if the car has no BCM is another possible cause.

#4 ·
Here in Canada there is no more dealers & Suzuki's are no longer sold here . no one seems to have fault codes & my locks still keep locking on their own . It will be a lot of $ to track problem . The battery was 7 years old & I probably will need one this winter gets real cold sometime .So thanks for your reply & Happy Halloween .

#5 ·
When troubleshooting electrical, it sometimes becomes necessary to restore the system to near normal conditions
before one can proceed to find the issue
So, that is probably why the guy said you needed a battery.

As for the intermittent locking and unlocking, it can be caused by faulty relays
Or even by faulty lock actuators.
Tips for troubleshooting would be to swap relays for the door locks
If that doesn't work then to disconnect one door actuator at a time and see if that isolates the problems.
Also, don't forget, it could be the switch.

Good luck

#6 ·
Garthparrish, the age of the battery tells something about the year model of the car but besides that, we know nothing. What model is your SX4? SInce in Canada, it is base, JX? JLX ? ANd the questions about extra aftermarket equipment are relevant.
OK a 7YO battery is probably near replacement....but if it starts the car, it cannot be related to any other problem...(blaming the battery is a common hysteria).
Doors lock when car on the road.....is normal for several models....(not my JX however) but being able to unlock once stopped is expected. Can you operate manually the mechanical unlock button ?

#7 ·
Door lock ( Read Manual )

Still had problem after battery change got desperate & read the manual in it there was instructions on how to change door remote codes which is a little involved but tried it anyway & so far the locks have been O/K . I guess after 7 years code must have forgot it's memory . My question is can't mech. think of these these simple fixes .

#9 ·
As far as I'm aware if there is an issue with the door remote codes all that will happen is that the remotes stop working until they are reprogrammed
Apparently not, in Canada!!!!
:lol:
LOL!!

Don

#10 ·
SX4 door locks

I tried the reset for the remote door opener & that fixed my problem .Its in the car manual . open drivers door put start key in turn on turn off take out Push door is closed push button 3 times reinsert key on , off, push door lock pushbutton ones . retry remote This all has to be done very fast to work . P/S if you don't trust my instructions find it in the manual just to be sure .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.