Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I just picked up this 2014 Hyundai Tucson a few days and thought I got a good price for its pristine condition with new tires, brakes/rotors all around, but I'm a little concerned about the engine rattle at idle. I did take it for a test drive and it got quiet, but when fully warm it doesn't completely go away, I can tell it's still there or my ears are just attuned to it now. I already changed the oil and put a Hyundai factory oil filter which helped quiet it down, but the only time it really gets quiet is when I drive it fully warm/hot for close to an hour. When I take short trips like 10-15 mins the rattle is there, only disappears at high idle. I posted a few videos on YouTube while it's idling warm (not hot after a long trip but also not cold, just after like a 15 minute drive).

I'm debating whether to trade it in immediately for something new (because I won't be able to return it, maybe just exchange but there's nothing else used on the lot my wife and I like). I'm not even really concerned about the rattle, it's the knock that I think you should be able to hear. I took it to a Hyundai service center and they just did a scope test for rod knock threshold and it passed, but don't know if they're just towing the company line, and another independent mechanic I took it to said it's normal for a GDI engine and aluminum block and it's quieter than other Hyundai and Kia engines he heard, but he did say Hyundai engines were known for those and eventually fail.

Before changing the oil with full synthetic and Hyundai oil filter: https://youtu.be/rI2Rd587QJk

After changing the oil with full synthetic and Hyundai filter plus fill up with high octane gas:

I value your opinions, but please don't judge, I know I took it home because even during the test drive it ran straight, handled nice and tight, didn't struggle for power, but I failed to take notice ahead of time these Hyundai engines had issues, some on recall. I ran the VIN and it had no open recalls against it, though other 2014 Tucson owners did experience the worse and it's a crap shoot if Hyundai will cover you or not, particularly if you're the second owner.

I'm trying to compare it to my 2003 GV before I changed the oil which helped quieted it down too: https://youtu.be/BnyK8W4DBhU

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
not bad for a diesel....if its a petrol, then ewww.

I don't like the "highanddrys" myself, they are nice internally in the cabin, but not the greatest mechanically or electrically. Diesels are better than petrols for reliability.
The GDI models are noisy and somewhat mechanically unreliable. The 2014 GDI petrols are known for major engine damage about 75 - 100,000 kms, and start knocking about 60,000 and making a lot of mechanical noise. Sounds like this might be one of them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not bad for a diesel....if its a petrol, then ewww.

I don't like the "highanddrys" myself, they are nice internally in the cabin, but not the greatest mechanically or electrically. Diesels are better than petrols for reliability.
The GDI models are noisy and somewhat mechanically unreliable. The 2014 GDI petrols are known for major engine damage about 75 - 100,000 kms, and start knocking about 60,000 and making a lot of mechanical noise. Sounds like this might be one of them.
Yeah I'm afraid so bud :(. Maybe that's why the first owner, despite changing the oil religiously every 5000 miles as recorded in the Carfax, traded it in at 85,000 miles, and I like a fool picked it up. He really took good care of the vehicle otherwise, it was re-detailed but it certainly looks brand spanking new with new tires, rotors, pads and maybe even alloy wheels (anything to sell it right?) and it does run straight, handles well, didn't struggle for power when I punched it for acceleration. Sounds much better when completely hot like when close to an hour of driving, but I'm not sure if I want that looming over my head (or my wife's). I fell into an impulse buy, going with looks over practicality, as it really is a nice vehicle. Now if I trade it in I'm going to have to try without taking too much of a hit if it's been only a week, and considering I'm going to do it at the same dealership network where I also got it from (but their used car side). Here's a couple more videos from the bottom of vehicle that could be telltale:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
it may run for years like this, it may fail tomorrow. Who knows. Its certainly noisier than I would like to hear.
Wonder if you could pull the "damn, i impulse bought, can I swap it for something else" with the dealer? on finance? they have a 7 day "cooling off" clause?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it may run for years like this, it may fail tomorrow. Who knows. Its certainly noisier than I would like to hear.
Wonder if you could pull the "damn, i impulse bought, can I swap it for something else" with the dealer? on finance? they have a 7 day "cooling off" clause?
I explored that route and the dealership would only honor an exchange but there's nothing in their lot that I liked. The car would have to fail mechanically in 15 days or 500 miles, whichever comes first, according to the IL law, but they don't have to take it back, only repair it if it does fail within that window but I took it to a mechanic and it was deemed a sound vehicle as of now. I may have to just bite the bullet, take a hit, and trade it in. It's unfortunate I can't rest on this vehicle, it really is nice and my wife and I like it other than that concern.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
change the oil and trade it in. Do not buy another Korean car, they are riddled with stuff like this.
I plan on looking into it this weekend.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
change the oil and trade it in. Do not buy another Korean car, they are riddled with stuff like this.
I ended up trading it in and don't plan on buying a Hyundai or Kia anytime soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts