Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a replacement 8-ball gear knob (at $5, why not), but trying to take the original off - it just will not budge.

Any tricks to try?

·
Registered
131 Posts
mine would not come off even with a strap wrench, channel locks and everything possible imaginable..i just cut the mother F$&*ker off and welded a bold with the correct thread pattern for the mugen shift knob for a civic and it looks and works great..sure it was a bit of work but its done..

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you heat the shaft enough it will soften the plastic threads on the knob and allow it to spin off. They must use Sumo wrestlers to tighten on the original knobs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info. I think I will cut my hinges so I can easily remove my doors when I want to drive around with a better view!

·
Registered
160 Posts
My driver's side door isn't aligning 100% true, I might try this too to see if I can fix. Great tip.
If it is not aligning due to door frame hinge mount area being bent, you may want to try to bend it back with the hinge and door still intact as the hinge will be stronger before it is cut. I had to muscle my doors after the roll over to get then aligned again. Not sure if you can load up the pressure on the open door with the hinges being cut. Just something to think about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts