Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Washington State and my 1987 Samurai's previous owner ripped out all the emissions stuff. Which is fine for him, since he lived in an area that didn't do testing. Now I'm stuck with $1000+ in repairs to even hope to pass emissions.

I'm supposed to be able to get a waiver if I spend $150 in a good faith effort to get back to passable, but that assumes all emissions components are there. I've recieved estimates of over $1,000 from different shops.

Until I pass emissions or get this waiver, I cannot get the title transferred to me. I'm fined (up to a max of $100) for each day after 15 that the title is not in my name.

I'm in no position to spend $1,000 on a car that cost not much more than that.

An obvoius option is to actually fix it. Well, the state mandates that you use one of their approved shops if you want to get a waiver. So I cant just get some shadetree mechanic to throw junkyard parts back on there because they're not allowed to sign the waiver form.

I've been all over all kinds of boards trying to skirt the law. Is my best option to change my address to a UPS store box (to avoid the tell-tale "PO Box" address) in a zip code that doesn't test? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
See if these guys or Suzuki John's can help you:
HAWK STRICTLY SUZUKI | Welcome.
Also post on ZukiKrawlers, Zukiworld, Zuhwarrie & pirate 4x4 & check their classified. Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
I believe you only need to use an approved waiver shop IF you are trying to get a waiver, which you are NOT since your car is not eligible for one anyway, since the emissions stuff was removed.

I am surprised that if the original carb and air clearer are there that they started looking closer, unless there was a shiny air cleaner, or unplugged hoses evident, or if you failed the sniffer test. You can buy a new CAT for under $50, and if the tailpipe is clean, they usually don't start poking around TOO much. I assume you didn't actually show up with chrome, or no CAT, right (That would be "asking for it")?

One option is to find a "friend" in Thurston County or other county that does not HAVE emissions and use his address.

As for the daily fine, I seriously doubt you can be fined if the reason you cannot register and title it is because it will not pass emissions. The "spirit' of the law is to prevent people from operating vehicles on the road w/ out transferring them to the new owner, creating a liability situation.

There must be some way to de-register the old plates while you 'rebuild' the vehicle to specifications.

I am not surprised it will cost over $1000 to make it legal. Some of the parts are no longer available, and used ones that old often are non-functional, making good used ones as rare as hen's teeth.

This is the government's way of encouraging everyone to crush old cars and buy new ones to keep the economy humming along (like Cash-for-Clunkers that was intended to get people to buy cars and borrow money in a slow economy)."

If you are not doing your part to create debt and position yourself and your nation for bankruptcy, you're just not acting in the right spirit!

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I'd pop back in and seal up the story with an ending. I registered it in a King County zip that doesn't require emissions. Done and done. Just have to pluck the grey hairs this caused and move on for now.

I certainly learned more about emissions than I ever wanted to know through this ordeal.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad you took my advice in the earlier post.

It's not worth the stress of trying to satisfy bureaucrats!

Bypassing them when you can is the best policy.

Bob
How many Sammys does it take to equal one forest fire, one volcanic eruption, or on Gulf Oil Spill in consequences? A bureaucrat would have a very self-righteous answer.
Remember, super-hypocrite Al Gore owns 7 huge mansions, a corporate jet, and God knows how many limos, and HE tells us how we're supposed to live green and reduce OUR carbon footprint.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
once your vehicle has been registered in King County you can install the equipment to get your vehicle smog legal and then put in a change of address to make your rig all above board. Cost of installing a rebuilt carb, EGR, O2 sensor, and cat... about 350 in parts and a couple hours in your driveway. If you need to replace the wireloom, and all the vacuum switches and ECU.... maybe you should stay registered in King county...;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts