Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok people I need some help. I have a 1995 sidekick 4door 4x4 16v. I can make all sorts of things but need help tracking down the sleeve bolts included in most of the body lift kits. I made the lift spacers and can make more. From 1/2 inch to 3 inch lift blocks. Made from aircraft alu. If someone knows where to find the bolts or has some I would be willing to compensate or trade out. But nowi know why they want 200$ or more for what looks like a simple bolt in kit.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
You can find just about every sort of bolt ever made (length, thread, material and head style), over at McMaster-Carr. :)

McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a former millwright from Chicago and know all about McMaster Carr. Just don't want to spend 13$ apiece for 6 bolts. And even more for grade8. I was thinking of just extending the body bolts with sleeves and using normal bolts to fasten them in. But thanks. A lot of people don't know about McMaster.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
Then tell us more about these "sleeves" that you are trying to source or maybe make? :huh:

I'm still wondering as to what you need / want, thus how we can help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I was thinking if I can find a chunk of sleeve that's the right thread I can cut it 3/8 shorter than the lift blocks I could tighten them to the body bolts, slip the lift blocks in to place and then run a normal bolt up through the body bushings. So the sleeve would be a sort of extension to the body bolts, and also enable me to use a bolt instead of nut to hold the body in place.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
Sort of an adapter bushing, maybe something shouldered. OK. ;)

FINDING that bushing, with the correct thread size and proper additional dimension needs may be...a needle in a haystack search, no?

I could understand MAKING your own sleeves / bushings (I'm a Machinist / Metal Fab guy) but without the needed dimensions / specs AND the m/hrs involved to accomplish, I'd certainly opt to simply procure longer bolts before venturing down this rather vague road of yours.

Bottom line...we still don't know what you need (with regard to some specifics like dimensions, a drawing and thread size?) to even begin to help you out.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
And as far as bolt pricing goes...

Here is an example of a metric Grade 5, Zinc plated bolt (suitable for your application) that I picked for its approximate size (1/2" x 6" long equivalent)

McMaster-Carr

$3.39 a piece. ;)

Part # 91280A806

Product Detail
Medium-Strength Zinc-Plated Steel Cap Screw - Class 8.8, M14 Thread, Pitch: 2, 150mm Long

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I know is the pitch of the threads (20) according to a thread gauge. And the body bolts seem to be attached to the body. There is no access to the back of the bolts and I really don't want to cut a hole in the body to find out. I removed a nut from the rear mount and was able to match up a bolt. The info on the bolts from a body lift kit is what I'm looking for. In reality I want to produce a body lift kit that's not going to 250$ for people. And they can pick the hight of the lift they want. I'm keeping track of my costs and man hours for production so far I'm at 40$ for the alu. Hoping I can come up with the hardware for less than 50$ if I can keep my cost around 100$ in materials I could sell them for 150$ and make 20 or more kits in 1 day. The work is nothing to do. Just trying to find the sleeve nuts used in kits on eBay. If you look at the pic for the kit the silver bolts are threaded on the inside. Those are what I'm looking for.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
If you look at the pic for the kit the silver bolts are threaded on the inside. Those are what I'm looking for.
What pics? :huh:

Post them or attach a link to what you are speaking to please.

All I know is the pitch of the threads (20) according to a thread gauge
That means nothing unless accompanied by the diameter spec. And are you sure that it is 20 TPI not something (maybe only close in pitch) Metric (M-?) something.

Personally, I think that you are getting in over your head.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I've considered this in the past. The thread is M8 x 1.25, which is 20tpi, my plan was to use threaded sleeving and weld a short bolt in one end. I have too many projects on the go so when I do get round to swapping out my old (rather nasty) Calmini body lift I'll just get a kit from my old friend Dave Jones at Bits4Vits.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
my plan was to use threaded sleeving and weld a short bolt in one end
Similar to a typical shock extender style fastener?

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
Ah HA!

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
That's how we all learn! ;)

I'm still processing the silver custom bolts in my mind. But I'll say this...that is one SUPER thin walled female thread section there. NOT strong at all. :eek:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
that is one SUPER thin walled female thread section there. NOT strong at all. :eek:
The bolts are plenty strong enough. In most cases the studs are only held to the main body by a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal anyway.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
I'm thinking PULL strength.

The bolts proper are meaty, but from a thread engagement (wall) aspect of the adapter poor, IMO. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I was thinking too. I to thought about welding a bolt to a sleeve with a 1/8 inch thick wall and boarding out the hole in the lift block to fit it. I have yet to bore out the blocks for this reason. And sorry to hear about the calmini kit. I have not heard good things about them.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
They aren't that thin, the thread would still be the weakest part so it wouldn't be much different to the stock set up. The studs will pull out of the body long before the bolt strips.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Might be late to the party, but the LROR body lift I have uses those sleeved bolt setup.

Had an overzealous forklift driver accidentally set his forks into the rear when loading an engine head into the bed. When he tried to push forward, he ibstead was pressing against the body and the rear seat points. Barked my tires as he pushed it forward.

ConsiderIng he moved the vehicle on dry asphault with it in park, Id say they are plenty strong.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts