Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY F6A EFI K&N Chrome AIR FILTER for under 700 pesos!!! (Now with PICS)

If your like almost every zuki owner out there, you know its almost impossible to find an air filter for our f6a EFI engines. I have an f6a rear mounted engine and i recently installed an nifty chrome power air filter on my zuki baby...and i spent only about six to seven hundred!!!. It just takes a little time lang. While i was shopping at my local BLAZE auto store at SM, i noticed they had a huge engine exhaust tip. It is about three inches in diameter at one end and tapers down to about two to two and a half inches on the other end. I then grabbed one of their after market air filters, put it on top of the three inch opening, and bamm!!...i had my own power air filter. (when searching for the exhaust tip, the filter fits exactly on the big opening, there is only one filter tip there ata that fits.) I just hoped the other end would fit in the ruber boot adapter on my throttle body. With a little motor oil to lube it up and a little pwersa, you should be able to muscle it on(TIP...take off the boot adapter on your throttle body to make it easier to slip on). Oh and make sure they weld everything on the bottom of the tip so from the top when lookin at the engine it still looks nice and shiny. Anway before i installed it on my engine i went to my local muffler shop so they could weld a small metal nipple to the underside of the muffler tip and a flat metal bracket. The nipple is for the blowby hose (make sure to show them the air filter box so they use the same size for the nipple). As for the metal bracket they just used a flat metal bar. just make sure it lines up with the hole where the previous air filter box attached to. just buy a nut and bolt to secure it. Anyway after installation the engine sounded a lot nicer and i could tell i gained a few more horses. Well hope this helps guys!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If your like almost every zuki owner out there, you know its almost impossible to find an air filter for our f6a EFI engines. I have an f6a rear mounted engine and i recently installed an nifty chrome power air filter on my zuki baby...and i spent only about six to seven hundred!!!. It just takes a little time lang. While i was shopping at my local BLAZE auto store at SM, i noticed they had a huge engine exhaust tip. It is about three inches in diameter at one end and tapers down to about two to two and a half inches on the other end. I then grabbed one of their after market air filters, put it on top of the three inch opening, and bamm!!...i had my own power air filter. (when searching for the exhaust tip, the filter fits exactly on the big opening, there is only one filter tip there ata that fits.) I just hoped the other end would fit in the ruber boot adapter on my throttle body. With a little motor oil to lube it up and a little pwersa, you should be able to muscle it on(TIP...take off the boot adapter on your throttle body to make it easier to slip on). Oh and make sure they weld everything on the bottom of the tip so from the top when lookin at the engine it still looks nice and shiny. Anway before i installed it on my engine i went to my local muffler shop so they could weld a small metal nipple to the underside of the muffler tip and a flat metal bracket. The nipple is for the blowby hose (make sure to show them the air filter box so they use the same size for the nipple). As for the metal bracket they just used a flat metal bar. just make sure it lines up with the hole where the previous air filter box attached to. just buy a nut and bolt to secure it. Anyway after installation the engine sounded a lot nicer and i could tell i gained a few more horses. Well hope this helps guys!!!
Sir ZukiDelight,

Thanks for the tip, but would greatly help if you could take some pictures on your new air filter to give us some idea.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here are a couple of snaps of my intake. the last picture is from the bottom. You can see the bracket and nipple for the hose welded to the bottom. Oh and i recommend you take off the rubber boot from the throttle body and take it to the store. Just to make sure you get the size right. enjoy :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the pics sir ZukiDelight!! it looks great, I'll drop by to blaze one of this days and get me one of those power filters.

Just one concern though, what if on rainy days, is there any chance that the filter might get wet? since the engine bay is open below and the filter might get splashed with water, specially here in the streets of manila where it gets flooded easily and also the potholes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i was worried about that too at first. dati i was able to wade in water up to my bumper. Last rainy season i drove around with my new filter in floods to about half of my rim and thankfully i had no problems. Basta its normal rainy driving it should be fine. also they sell a filter at blaze that has a plastic cone covering the filter media. feeling ko this might protect water from coming in better than the one i got. The one i have as you can see is just exposed lang. just a couple hundred pesos more ata. good luck :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
sirs congrats. yup that's the problem only when you're wading through the water. i guess you need also to install a heat deflector so as not to absorb the heat from the engine.

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
ZukiDelight;117792[IMG said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3124/2296200898_fcffdf4d9d_m.jpg[/IMG]
Sir Zukidelight, did you ever tinkered with this screw? I suppose you
have since the rubber stopper is already gone, hehe . . .
This is what I mentioned in the other thread where I adjusted the
air intake screw. Have you???

See attached drawing.

View attachment 5143

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know if we have the same set up, but my air filter has a plastic
casing. BTW mine is F6A 12V EFI van. My air filter is a little bit longer than
the casing but it can be closed tight. The diameter is somewhat small I think
but we can't be sure since we don't have the original one. Here are some pics.

View attachment 5136

View attachment 5137

View attachment 5138

View attachment 5139

View attachment 5140

Anybody here got the same set up as mine???

sir Bruce Li, we have the same setup of air filter. I've also tinkered with the screw, It is used to regulate the air intake.

·
Registered
177 Posts
sir Bruce Li, we have the same setup of air filter. I've also tinkered with the screw, It is used to regulate the air intake.

Thank God, at least I know someone has been doing the same thing, hehe. .
Hey Rob, do you remember how many 360deg. turns (from complete shut)
did you adjust your air intake? If you happen to memorize it, please tell
me. And if I open this screw more, my idle RPM rises. Do I save more fuel
if I increase the air intake or am I increasing the fuel consumption?
How about the power/acceleration?

By the way, I just had my "change oil" & coolant flushing last night.
Used the same air filter as my previous pics. I think they were made
locally by Suzuki dealers here in Cebu. They actually fit good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
to bruce yeah my air filter box set up was the same as yours. I just took the whole plastic casing out of mine. Before I got the same filter as you have but as you said it is very tight, when i took it out again i noticed that the filter would not make a complete seal inside the box, meaning dirt could still get past the filter and into the engine. thats why i made my own and whats really nice is that its washable. Anyway yes i've adjusted the screw before, I think its about 7 turns out from shut.

To eric233676,
i bought the exhaust tip and filter at BLAZE auto store. I think the exhaust tip cost almost 300 pesos and the filter about 400. I think most SM malls have this. But i went to SM san lazaro, kind of far from you, Sorry am not sure if Mega Mall has a BLAZE auto store. Anyway just remember to bring your throttle body boot so you get the size right.

·
Registered
177 Posts
to bruce yeah my air filter box set up was the same as yours. I just took the whole plastic casing out of mine. Before I got the same filter as you have but as you said it is very tight, when i took it out again i noticed that the filter would not make a complete seal inside the box, meaning dirt could still get past the filter and into the engine. thats why i made my own and whats really nice is that its washable. Anyway yes i've adjusted the screw before, I think its about 7 turns out from shut.
Oh I see, so you modified it from our original setting. I think you have a pretty
good work goin' on out there & I admire Filipinos for being innovative and
resourceful.

By the way, does your new set up get the supply air directly from the
surrounding air around the engine?

In the original set up, I think there is a special hose leading to an enclosed
plastic container connected at the left sliding door. (see attached pics)
Probably the air comes inside the vehicle to supply a cleaner air & perhaps
lengthens the life of the air cleaner as compared when it's exposed or
uncovered.
View attachment 5149
View attachment 5150

But the problem with the original set up is the plastic cover is not properly
closed, leaving a small gap for dirty air to come in. Maybe we can just add
a rubber on the lid to resolve this, hehe . .

How much did it all cost you for having this new set up sir zukidelight?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes it is true that the air coming from the engine if its uncovered tends to be a little more dirty. After I clean my engine it just takes a few minutes of driving to get a blanket of dust again. But i compensate this by washing my new air filter every oil change. actually it is still pretty clean, but it is so easy to take out why not? Well here in manila i paid about seven hundred pesos for my own set up, 300 for the exhaust tip and 400 for the filter, oh and depends how much you want to pay for the welding job, but i really think it is worth it because its washable, makes the engine sound nicer, and looks really nice. I'm pretty sure you could probably get it cheaper by looking around. just carry around your throttle body boot to find something that fits :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know if we have the same set up, but my air filter has a plastic
casing. BTW mine is F6A 12V EFI van. My air filter is a little bit longer than
the casing but it can be closed tight. The diameter is somewhat small I think
but we can't be sure since we don't have the original one. Here are some pics.

View attachment 5136

View attachment 5137

View attachment 5138

View attachment 5139

View attachment 5140

Anybody here got the same set up as mine???
Mine is exactly the same bro

·
Registered
37 Posts
to Bruce Li
sir we have almost the same air filter set up,but i im not sure if we have the same F6A 12V EFI engine,sir do u have idea on how will i know if my engine is an EFI type?
Sir is it possible for our air filter to be modified and to use like what Zuki did?is it compatible for our type of air filter?

·
Registered
37 Posts
To Zuki,
tsk tsk tsk very nice!!!u,is in increasing the power?or do u have idea how much Hp?The air filter u put is like what ive seen in the News Paper Ads that is used in Honda cars,its a very nice idea of urs Zuki,thanx

·
Registered
97 Posts
to Bruce Li
sir we have almost the same air filter set up,but i im not sure if we have the same F6A 12V EFI engine,sir do u have idea on how will i know if my engine is an EFI type?
Sir is it possible for our air filter to be modified and to use like what Zuki did?is it compatible for our type of air filter?
check your engine bay

if it has no carb then its efi

1 - 20 of 23 Posts