Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I felt sad to part away from my 6.5:1 crawler gears T/C, for a stock one. I had to do it because it just ain't no good on sand or the high way, and we don't have any rocks around here.

Now the car drives much better on sand and cruises much better on the high way.

I've got the vitara's 5.125:1 diff R/P, which gives sufficient reduction for my 33" tires and a crawl ratio of 42:1 is not too bad.

I'm working with a pal, who got a coily Samurai with a bad transfer case, to transplant my T/C into his Sammy. I was surprised that later model Samurais (coily ones) had completely different T/C from the older model ones. I think they are chain driven, rather than gear driven. Any way, seems they're not as reliable as them good old ones. They have the same mounting arms, though, which was a surprise. We managed to almost swap the T/C in with minor modifications. I had to drill a new hole for the short arm, as the old-model T/C is slightly wider than the new-model unit, maybe only a centimeter wider. But the problem occurred when it came to hook up the shaft from the gear box to the T/C, it was too long. So we took the coily to a machine shop to shorten the shaft enough to get it to hook on the input flange of the T/C.

I'll keep you updated with how it goes, and I'll capture some photos. Has anyone attempted this before, from our Aussie and other non-US friends? (Coily didn't sell in the US).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Horses for courses...

My main use for the Sami(where my '96 Impala SS is unsuited) is on unimproved and poorly maintained dirt roads, and I find the stock T-case gearing to be perfect for that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're absolutely right. I feel I went too extreme in both T/C gears and R/P gears. Had I taken a medium reduction for the T/C of 4:1, and a 4.3:1 R/P, I would have been in perfect shape. But 6:1 T/C with 5.125:1 R/P is just too much for sand and road driving.

Man, that's the beauty about the Samurai! You can really play with ratios to get just exactly what you need. No other car on the planet has all those options.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts