Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Replacing the rotor in a 1995 Geo Tracker. The rotor can be placed in any of three positions. Does it matter how it goes? I'm used to rotors that can only be placed in one position. Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
That is indicative that you have a cheap Chinese clone, it is no good...

Find an OEM rotor, it will only fit one way....

...... Philip

·
Super Moderator
23,648 Posts
x2. The proper rotors will only fit on one way, and that's what you should use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dist Rotor Position//More Info

The rotor was on the Tracker but was removed because of a transmission r and r. I took the dist cap and rotor off so that I could get a block of wood between the dist and the firewall as recommended by the manual.

The rotor has three flats on it. The dist shaft has three flats on it. The flats are spaced equally so the rotor can go on in three different positions. Chinese copy or not, any rotor would have to have the three flats so it could fit the shaft. I guess I have to follow the steps to take if "Distributor position is lost".
Bob

·
Super Moderator
23,648 Posts
I believe you will notice, if you carefully look at the distributor, while there are 3 'flats' on it, two of them are longer than the third. On the correct FSM rotor, the short flat of the rotor must adhere to the short flat of the distributor.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The simplest way to get it right is to turn the motor over until its at TDC on number one cylinder and then check where the number one spark plug lead is on the distributor cap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right. I have an old core distributor and can see the different sizes of the "flats". I probably would not be able to see that with the dist in the car. I also had an older rotor and it only goes on one way. I put the older rotor on the dist in the car and found out which way it pointed. I then turned the crank to TDC and it pointed to the Number 1 plug wire so I know I got it right.

Time to fill the fluids, install the battery and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts