Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 geo tracker 4wd auto 16v

After putting things back together, I'm having a hard time getting it started.

Without typing out all the details everyone knows, I have all the marks on the crank gear and cam gear pointing in the correct spot.

On #1 firing tdc, with the crank pulley mark at 0 tdc, i am stabbing my dizzy in and just can't seem to find a spot where the rotor lines up with the #1 spark plug wire post without having the distributor basically rotated past the range of being able to tighten the torx adjuster pivot bolt for the dizzy.

I also have confirmed that the rotor and distributor are put together right. See the pics below for some reference.

I am not sure what advice you guys could give me, but I'm consdiering taking the timing cover off temporarily and putting the crank pulley back on just to get it started to see what the heck is happening here.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
When crank and cam timing gears are in position for changing the timing belt, the engine is in TDC compression #4 cylinder. 16v is counterclockwise distributor rotation. When I installed my JDM replacement engine in my 95, and used the kick-fix diagram, I had to rotate the dist. one notch CCW and it runs like a champ.

EDIT: Look at the diagram half way down the page in this link, but note when cam and crank gears are in alignment, as during a timing belt change, you have to stab the dist to the #4 cylinder, not #1.

http://www.fixkick.com/IGN_timing/16v-procedure.html

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it started... had to move the dizzy rotor back a tooth. At first it seemed like it would be waaay out of spec, but once it went together, it fired up perfectly. I guess it's hard to eyeball the dizzy cap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts