Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I recently bought a Sidekick and it has a ton of wires in the engine bay that is disconnected. Can anyone help me identify what they are and if they need to be connected? Also, what are those two sockets(?) that protrude from the firewall in the first picture?

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
It looks like you HAD a/c judging from the terminated firewall line fittings. Some of your excess wiring and connectors could then be A/c related.

·
Super Moderator
23,918 Posts
The brown VSV is what provides vacuum for the throttle opener at the rear of the engine. It only works for about 5-10 seconds at cold start, so if you give more gas at the throttle, during those few seconds, you can do the same thing. The blue VSV provides vacuum to the EGR circuit. The EGR system is basically an emissions circuit - it will allow your valves to run a bit cooler, but your car will not throw a code. Some people actually disconnect it (supposedly for a bit more power). Neither of these circuits is connected to your computer - so your car will run fine without them - although if you want to put your car back to stock, you should probably repair them. If you have junkyards near you, you can probably pull VSV’s off of any Sidekick there. Only the 8v will have the brown one that you’re missing, but it’s only different because of the color.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Looks like you have good answers for #2, (A/C dual pressure switch) and both #3 and 4. You have even been told that the metal connections on the firewall. (A/C Evaporator)

I do not see any answers for #1.

I can not see the color of the wire. If it is following the "theme" of your others I would guess the A/C over temp switch. If so... It would be yellow with a blue stripe.

But in the picture, it looks to be a larger gauge and seems to be coming from the behind the right headlight. Not what I would expect.

What color is the wire?

OBTW... what year is your Sidekick? We can see it has an 8v motor so odds are it is 2 door. Automatic? 4x4?

Your last picture is too close to figure out where on the motor it is.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Looks like you have good answers for #2, (A/C dual pressure switch) and both #3 and 4. You have even been told that the metal connections on the firewall. (A/C Evaporator)

I do not see any answers for #1.

I can not see the color of the wire. If it is following the "theme" of your others I would guess the A/C over temp switch. If so... It would be yellow with a blue stripe.

But in the picture, it looks to be a larger gauge and seems to be coming from the behind the right headlight. Not what I would expect.

What color is the wire?

OBTW... what year is your Sidekick? We can see it has an 8v motor so odds are it is 2 door. Automatic? 4x4?

Your last picture is too close to figure out where on the motor it is.
A/C compressor clutch wire?

·
Super Moderator
23,918 Posts
Just thinking with regard to the brown VSV. The default position of the throttle opener is actually open. It’s when the ECU comes online and provides vacuum to the throttle opener that it closes and drops the idle. Just curious - when your engine is at warm operating temp, what is your idle??

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
A/C compressor clutch wire?
I think you nailed it. Black with a white stripe, larger gauge, and long enough that it was likely tucked into the space behind the headlight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just thinking with regard to the brown VSV. The default position of the throttle opener is actually open. It’s when the ECU comes online and provides vacuum to the throttle opener that it closes and drops the idle. Just curious - when your engine is at warm operating temp, what is your idle??
It's high, around 1500 rpm

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
That's the "inlet air temperature sensor"
I think that Darrell nailed this one.

IIRC: Having a IAT sensor would mean that this rig is an earlier fuel injected Sidekick... 89 to 90 (91?).

·
Super Moderator
23,918 Posts
His signature says it’s an 89. While they always say That 91 is a crossover year, at least with my 91 Tracker, it doesn’t have any of the earlier sensors (like the ISC that’s totally electric, etc.).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts