Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be taking my front drivers seat out for repair soon so need to disable the air bag system for a few days.

I've found the instructions but would like to know where the quarter inner trim is? (number 8)

Mine has airbags in the seat, the windscreen pillar and the door pillar.

Also need to find fuse A/B, I'm assuming it's in the drivers footwell box

Attachments

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
You can just disconnect the battery for 10 mins and unplug the seat. Removing the fuse and leaving it out will disable all air bags and invalidates insurance coverage if you have an accident.

Plug for the seat is obvious, big yellow one under the seat base

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks for that. This is what my common sense was thinking but then i saw this in the manual.

I wasn't planning on driving the car with it all disabled.

So, can you clarify when you would need to disable the air bag in this way as per the manual?

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
If you're not driving it with the seat out (and I'm wondering what you're having repaired as factory warranty is 3 years) then pull the battery, wait 10 mins and unplug seat. Transport seat with air bag facing away from you, and securely (as in, ratchet tie downs) fastened because the air bag can go off all by itself due to static. Not common, but it has happened. They will launch a road cone over 40 feet vertically
That procedure in the manual is for disabling all the air bags.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Cant find in WSM recommended way to temporarily disable while I take front seats out, is fuse removal sufficient? full of warnings to do so but cant find that heading.
Thanks

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,670 Posts
Remove the fuse or disconnect the battery (warning this will affect all presets as well) and let discharge for 1/2 hr, then unplug seat connection...

If transporting seat, secure facing away, for safety reasons avoid static charges...

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Cant find in WSM recommended way to temporarily disable while I take front seats out, is fuse removal sufficient? full of warnings to do so but cant find that heading.
Thanks
I mentioned the same procedure Philp has stated in your other post about this. including transporting with ratched tie downs holding seat in place in the vehicle being used to transport it

·
Registered
221 Posts
the world gets stupider everyday (in case you havent noticed) just learnt that TorX drivers (male) are called by "T" designation followed by a number that doesnt appear to have any relation to anything eg T40 for the seat bolt. and are called "sockets". The sockets arent called that but could be called E-Torx sockets or externals. they are also followed by a number eg E4-8 then10,12,14,16 ,18 . this also does not appear to be related to the size of the bolt they are to fit. eg A T40 has a driver 8.6 mils across the lands and the socket for the bolt E12.
I spent many years in DoD trying to get uniform Standards adopted by all the Services and saw many examples of stupidity and sheer bloody mindedness in subjects such as firefighting, UXO clearance and fuel and lubricants management to name a few but this leaves me gobsmacked. I well remember a certain water borne vehicle we built, designed in metric built in imperial so nothing ever really fitted and some equipment designed in kW was supplied in HP. It cost more than if we had converted the tools to metric in the first place.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Torx

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ive been having a spot of the same bother. on the schematic the fuse is listed as number 29. however my manual does not have a picture of the fuse box and the drivers manual shows the airbag fuse to be the lowest one on the left near your feet. it is marked K or A/B (in sect 7.) RH drive. I plan to just pull it remove the seat then replace it until I put the seat back in.

·
Registered
221 Posts
boy it gets even worse. it appears there are now 3 types of torx not all compatible with each other. and if your seats were so tight looks like suzuki dont comply with their own recommendations for torque .

·
Registered
221 Posts
Then you will have to reenter everything. By pulling the fuse you won't. Can't see anything in the book about waiting. Must be a mighty big capacitor to take that long to discharge. But when it comes to explosives I found in my time in UXO it pays to be careful. (I am NOT an ammo tech, I'm fairly sane.....:) )
It's just a nuisance they use one type Of designation but don't follow through in other areas. It's typical in cars I've found. Although why they don't stick to iso in all areas is a pain.
That fuse is referred to as A/B, 29 and K.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
The capacitors in the SRS module are super caps and can fire the airbags up to 10 minutes after losing supply to the module

·
Registered
221 Posts
Interesting. Good idea to treat them with respect..

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Yep, I dont trust SRS modules at all. You can probably safely unplug the seat with key off, the plugs do have shorting bars to minimize static triggering, but I'd pull the fuse and go have a coffee

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So which am I best off doing? The car won't be used or even turned on whilst the seat is out.

What settings will I lose other than the throttle position needs resetting by leaving the ignition on for a while.

·
Registered
221 Posts
all your radio presets id imagine.
At least theyre not ammonium nitrate....not quite as bad as nitro but dreadfully unstable.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Radio, long term fuel trim and idle.
Reset procedure....
Reconnect battery, get in car, do not touch any pedals
Ign on, wait 40 seconds, start car,
Idle will be mostly ok, mileage will be rubbish for a week.
Esp light will be on, that will go out after about 200 yards of straight driving where the wheel isnt moved, this might take a bit more depending on your roads, mine goes off pretty quickly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts