Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have almost 90k miles on my '07 X-Sport now, and recently have come into a problem where, at night, the instrument cluster dims properly, but the temp/MPG gauge, the air conditioning controls, the radio backlight and other night lighting in the car remains at its daytime setting. As such, I can't see any of the radio controls and the glare from the clock/MPG cluster is pretty annoying.

I have adjusted the dimmer on the speedometer, which works and adjusts the brightness of the instrument cluster, but has no effect on the rest of the vehicle.

I remember there being a delay (1-2 seconds) in between when the dashboard lights came on and when the secondary lighting came on, perhaps there is a relay or something else that may be bad?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Brett.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. As far as I can tell, the '07 only has one dimmer switch, the stalk that comes from the speedometer.

Actually, it wasn't this at all. I looked at the factory manual and found that the interior illumination comes from the tail light circuit and is enabled by the tail light relay (which is tied to the headlights). The fuse feeding the tail light circuit was bad, which meant in addition to no interior lighting at night, I had no rear tail lights either. Thankfully this has been going on a short amount of time or I would have had a policeman on my butt for sure.

Bottom line, I replaced the 10A tail lamp fuse and everything is good again. I don't know why it blew in the first place, but I suspect it may have been my trailer wiring harness, which has seen better days.

Hope this helps anyone who runs into something similar.

Brett.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thanks for the update ... that is how we learn!

So, along the same lines what happened with the transmission error code you had back in September?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: the transmission code, the dealer had the car for a couple of days and wasn't able to reproduce it, and I wasn't able to reproduce it either after December. I wonder if it was something with the new transmission settling in (seems doubtful, but I don't have a better theory), so I don't have any real update to that.

Brett.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts