Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help. I have a 1989 Samurai, new battery,all stock electric devices.The drivers side headlight is very dim. Re-placed both headlights, drivers side still dim. Run jumper wire directly to headlight and get full intensity. Checked the only ground wire that I could find that would be for the headlight wiring harness, that ground is good. It is the ground on the drivers side harness just before it goes through the grommet on the firewall, just below the windshield cowl. Is this the correct ground? I also cleaned the headlight plug of all corrosion and applied di-electric grease. Could it be a problem with the headlight switch itself?

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
Where did you run that jumper wire from? Battery positive or ground?

Quite often, if there's one dim headlight, the problem is a blown headlight fuse - there are two, one for each side.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dim

Jumped ground and hot lead straight from battery to headlight.All fuses are fairly new dont suspect one to be bad, but I will recheck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure if this is a suprise to you but it was to me, Suzuki supplies power through a fuse directly to the headlight, from there it passes through the switch before going to ground.
In other words the headlights are a switched ground system, very unusual.
I would try bypassing the switch and or checking your resistance to ground with a meter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
headlight

Thanks for the advice Fordem it was a blown fuse.Kind of weird if the fuse is blown,how could it get any power at all? Does it feed from the other side?

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
That's exactly what happens - it's a bit of an unusual system, but it's designed so that a fuse failure doesn't put you completely in the dark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the same issue on my 2002 XL-7 Tracked it back to the wiring harness to the left of the battery. Three wires attached to one with some blue tape... looked original. Every time I touched the spot it would light the headlight fully. Cut in a new wire and haven't had a problem since.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts