Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing the owners manual and noticed a replace or change of the differential oil at the first 7500 miles or 12,500 km. This seems abit premature. Did anyone to do this on their first service.? Excuse me for my ignorance. <_<

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello,

I didn't own my Vitara when it was this new but I know who did, and they had the first and second services done by our local main dealer, who definitely didn't change the diff oil during either service.

I personally changed the oil in both diffs and both gearboxes at 27K miles and this was the first time it had been done. The oil looked a little discoloured but wasn't overly dirty and I think it would have lasted much longer. So, I don't really think you need to worry about this at 7.5K, unless you're doing loads of heavy off-roading or generally giving yours a hard life.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
4,490 Posts
this is done for a VERY good reason. DO IT. Suzuki apparently uses a light weight fluid in the diffs to break them in. It MUST be changed at 7500 miles.. I did mine at 7500 and it was water thin and had lots of metal stuck to the drain plug magnet.. I too have heard of premature differental failers too when this fluid is NOT changed at 7500 miles like it is required to by Suzuki..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I changed the oil at 8500 by myself becouse it wasn`t done by a dealer .
I searched manual and web but I couldn`t find if to put syntetic or regular gear oil .
Manuals is saying only about grade GL5 and 80w-90 . Also what kind of oil need to be put in transfer case . Manuals tells to put 75w-90 GL-4 but also dosn`t mention about what kind . And what is a diffrence betwen GL5 and GL4 ? Thanks for any information ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used synth in both diffs, transfer case, and main gearbox on mine. The service schedule for my old 2001 (pre-grand) Vitara is obviously different to you later Grand Vitara boys. There is nothing in it about changing diff or gear box oil before 27K miles. Maybe the diffs are different or like XL7Limited says, on new models they use a thinner viscosity fluid to break them in quickly, hence the 7.5K oil change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by td248@Dec 14 2004, 12:14 PM
I used synth in both diffs, transfer case, and main gearbox on mine. The service schedule for my old 2001 (pre-grand) Vitara is obviously different to you later Grand Vitara boys. There is nothing in it about changing diff or gear box oil before 27K miles. Maybe the diffs are different or like XL7Limited says, on new models they use a thinner viscosity fluid to break them in quickly, hence the 7.5K oil change.
Hi. I used synth in my last four cars, starting with a '86 Jetta. We have many really cold days here in Canada (it is currently -20 C) and I'd like to use it in my new XL7 Limited. Does anyone know what Suzuki has to say about synthetics and their warranty? The science says that it is just better, but I was unable to find any reference in my manual or on the net from Suzuki.

Do you have recommendations on weight for the synthetic in diffs and in the engine?

As synthetic has a virtually flat viscosity profile with respect to temperature, (sometimes referred to as temperature stability) I'm of the opinion that there is no need to change the weight of the oil by season, only to regularly replace the filter and top up. I also flush it occasionally; about every 25 000 Km.

My anecdote: After my first 250 000 Km (it went 575 000 Km before the floor pan dissolved) my mechanic cracked open the engine of the Jetta to change the timing belt et al. He called me and asked my why I had not had these items changed when the engine was rebuilt. I answered that the engine had never been rebuilt. He was puzzled how I did it. When he asked, I told him: "I use synthetic". He had never seen 250 000 Km on an engine that was so clean it was "like new"; so he kept taking it apart for interest' sake and he found no cam wear, no ring or piston wear, no no "coke" deposits, no sludge; nothing.

'Bye for now,

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts