Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a rear diff locker for my 2003 Jimny Wide and would like to hesr about types/brands available and experiences.

Tks,

Joao Paulo
Jimny "Formiguinha"
Sao Paulo - Brazil

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Joao Paulo

I have used 2 types of rear lockers on my Jimny.
The first one was the LOCKRIGHT locker. It is a cheap solution (at least here in Greece) with very good off road performance. It is installed in the existing differential group of the car. It is mechanical and automated. This means that complicates by it self each time you press the accelerator pedal and decompiles when you depress the pedal. It gives up to 100% complication and very good off road capabilities.
On the asphalt gives a very good handling on turnings at high speed (pushes the car’s frond kept on the in side of the turn).
The disadvantages of this differential are:

1) Very noisy when it decompiles (a very big “crack” noise is occurred) on terrains with good grip (such as asphalt)
2) You have to get used pressing the accelerator pedal in turnings (in order the car turns with less noise)
3) Driver can not decompile it any time he feels that he has to.
4) Extensive tire worn
5) Not too strong for very hard off road use.

The second differential I used on my car (the one I still have on it) is the ARB AIR LOCKER differential.
This differential works as a stock open diff but it converts to a 100% locked differential wit the press of a button. In this case you have to remove the whole stock group, and install the new one.
It works with air pressure provided by a 12V electric air pump. It is designed for very hard off road use and the basic advantage is that you can lock it only when you need it. All the other times your car will behave as stock. This type difs are the best (my opinion) for cars used both off and on road.
The disadvantages of this differential are:

1) You can’t use it on terrains with good grip (since it is locked and the wheels will not slide the effect is that the axle shafts will brake)
2) Quite expensive
3) Functions with electrical system, and delivers the air with hoses, so it is more “sensitive” than mechanical difs.
4) You have to drill the differential case of your car in order to install it (not a big deal but….)

I hope I helped….

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm using the EZ-Locker in my Jimny. It's the same as the LockRight. No problems what so ever with it. No bad cracking sounds or bangs. A noisy Locker is incorrectly assembled. A well assembled one is almost without any sound at all. All you hear is a tiny clicking when turning. ...and there's no excessive tire wear.

All you need to remember is to release the accelerator a little bit just before turning in to a corner. That’s all.

More about this at www.jimny.se

.. Boris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kalianic, Boris,

tks for the replies - it is hard to get info on jimny experiences here in Brazil, there are lots of Samurais but just a few jimnies.

I am leaning toward the lockright or easylocker solution (ARB is really expensive), but I have a few more questions.
Tks again.

- would these lockers be the same as the ones used on the samurais?

- any special care on the installation? Any part that need to be bought apart from the locker itself?

- My profile is of a urban and road use of the car, off-road would be at most 10% (but a heavy one - mud and rocks).
You mention driving issues as well different tyre comsumption experiences.
Are there any yellow or red flags for my profile type of use?

- have you heard of the No-slip diff locker? Is it available for jimny?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my EZ-Locker at Roadless Gear in the US. Damn god service and a affordable price. A highly recommendable company.

- Yes it’s the same locker as in the Samurai. The one that fits in the Samurai SJ413 is the one for the Jimny.

- There are some web pages that shows and explains how to do the installation. Frankly it’s quite easy. Just let it take some time. Search for EZ-Locker (or Lockright) installation and you'll find them.

The tools required are:
A special tool to get the oil plug out. A 3/8” wrench fits.
One 10 mm wrench for the brake plate
One 12mm wrench for the brake lines
One 14 mm wrench for the propeller shaft.
One torque wrench.
One slide hammer to get the drive shafts out.
A hydraulic jack if you do the work with the car standing on the garage floor. You need the jack to lower the differential when taking it out. It’s quite heavy. Remember to use jack stands!
Some silicone “gasket in a tube”.
1.5 liters of new oil.

A properly installed locker will not cause any abnormal tire consumption or noises!

According to Figmo at Roadless Gear most of his friends who has tried and used the No-Slip locker turns to the regular locker after a while. The no slip one wont last, it brakes.

.. Boris
www.jimny.se

·
Registered
11 Posts
Joao Paulo, Boris,

I agree that the installation is very easy, and needs nothing additionally to be bought.
I have read many articles and posts in several web pages and forums about this kind of lockers. There are 2 opinions. Many users say that that is noisy and other that is not. Here (in Greece) there are many people with cars of many makes (Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Land Rover etc) who have install these lockers. Almost all of them who use their car in the town have problem with the noise and tyre ware. These lockers are very good and work with no noise at all, on tarains with low grip (such as mud, sand, snow and wet asphalt).
The more grip the tyres have, the louder the noise is. I believe (as i can assume) that sweden is m mostly rain and snow country and maybe this causes these difs not to be noisy. But Greece or Brazil are more "dry" countries and this causes the difs make noise.
Mine was not noisy at all when driving on mud and snow tarains, and a litle bit noisy on wet tarain.

This is the main reason that many people in Greece buy an automatic dif. and after a while they change it to a manual one.

Although these difs are very strong. I know people who use it for off road races (such as trials) for years with no problems at all.

Hope I helped.... or I made a biger confusion....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the hints and recommendations - they were valuable.
I will give it a try with the Lock Right - I will post a reply after using it (first I will have to import it, which will take a while...)

Tks,

Joao Paulo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by KALIANIC@Feb 3 2006, 05:27 PM
The more grip the tyres have, the louder the noise is. I believe (as i can assume) that sweden is m mostly rain and snow country and maybe this causes these difs not to be noisy.
Still; a locker that has been incorrectly assembled makes loud noises. The tyre grip or friction to the surface doesn’t matter. I drive my Jimny on tarmac, gravel, grass, snow and ice. A locker that sounds bad needs to be reassembled. Trust me I know. I've reassembled my locker four times to get it right and as well as quiet.

Joao Paulo, if you’re about to buy your locker outside Brazil don’t hesitate to contact Figmo at Roadless Gear. He’s sold several lockers for the Jimny by now and knows what you need.

.. Boris
www.jimny.se

1 - 8 of 8 Posts