Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the ice/snow road in 4 hi and noticed a bad vibration under load. took it out of 4 hi and it went away. I put the SAM on the hoist took off the drive shafts and checked u joints. they are good. I checked the diffs and the rear has 1/2 in of turn till grab and the front has 1 1/2in of turn to grab. i have lock rites in both.I built my Sam back in 08 and have put 30k on it. When I did the lockers I counted the turns of the threaded jamb rings and installed the the same amount of turns.Any ideas of what i need to do? I am going to pull the front axles and pull the diff out.Maybe the keeper bolt broke? I am pretty hard on the drive train.Anybody else had this experience.I want to get it ready for spring wheeling.Thanks Doug

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just recently set up my front differential for a locker and these two articles helped a whole bunch.
my ring gear backlash was .007 and pinion preset was 2lbs with a spring type puller. not sure if these numbers are correct but that's what they where when i pulled it apart.
Joe

These are about installing a locker but setting up backlash and preset are the same for a stock setup.....I like the first one in the backyard a little better because it has you push the ring gear all the way to the right first for setting backlash but they are both real good.

http://www.acksfaq.com/pdfs/Backlash.pdf

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/downloads/instructions/SAX-SL_Suzuki-Samurai-26-Spline-Spartan-Locker.pdf

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found Problem

Finally had time to remove the carrier. Found the lash on the ring and pinion was fine.The movement was my locker more on the passenger side than the drivers. it appears the springs in the lockrite got weak. Ordered new ones from summit for 22.00 and some change. I called Richmond gear and talked to the tech. He said 5 years is about the life of them. Mine are 5 years old and have had a lot of use. I wish I knew that last year as I rebuilt the knuckles, seals,, wipers, kingpins. At least the Ford ultra grey sealant kept the water out. We do a lot of stream and water crossing here in Northern Michigan.So it looks like I'll pull the carriers down every few years for maintenance .Again thanks for the help. Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts