Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just replaced my rear BFGs 215/75/15 with Michelin LTX AT 235/75/15. The front still runs on the 215 BFGs. I wanted to check if this size mismatch would cause a problem with 4wd engaged on the trail. Appreciate your help

Thanks
Neville

·
Registered
686 Posts
I suspect it would push terribly along with creating plenty of stress on the driveline components.

Why the different sizes?

Tony

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you are in mud or an extremely slippery condition then you may not notice. But once you start getting any sort of grip then you would start to get binding, with the wheel sets trying to turn at different rates. There is no central diff. So they either turn at the same rate or they don't turn at all and with power being laid down there is force being placed on the drive line.

Then to move something will either have to slip or break.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Someone who knows how to apply to real life the principles of quantum physics will be able to tell you how to arrange the diffs (3rd member) to accommodate different sizes of tires on each end. Not simple but do able.
The rule is same size tires on all 4 corners on a usable 4x4.
There will be no problem until you select 4x4, then the binding will either break an axle, a driveshaft, a ring and or pinion or gears in the transfer case. All these breaks depending on where they happen would likely be more expensive than 2 more tires the same size for your rig, on either end. If you must use the configuration you are using now, DO NOT engage the transfer case in 4x4.
Some fellas use different gears on the front and rear for several reasons, having seen up close and personal what will happen, when done wrong, don't do it. Sometimes it is a long way from the trail to the towrig while pushing a rope. Getting a 4x4 tow truck to offroad uses big $$ incentives.
Check out other opinions of the guys in your club or offroad group.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou guys for your detailed responses. Appreciate it!!

Tony to answer you question, in short, I did not have a choice at 18,500ft attempting the worlds highest non motorable road (Marisimik La) and the terrain there managed to take out BFGs. So had to buy the available size a 100miles from there.;)

I guess i am now looking to replace the front tyres as well. The only issue I see is the rubbing of the front driver side tyre (mine is a RHD) with the leaf spring clip. I run OME springs all round and this fouling wasnt evident with the stock leaf springs. I think the OMEs are wider.

·
Registered
686 Posts
That is a great answer! I can accept that:gunsmilie:

What other suspension mods?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No other suspension mods. My zook runs on stock Gabriel shocks after Ranchos gave up the ghost post 12 years of duty across 2 rigs. I have however re-cambered the OME leafs for more lift. Planning on going for OME shocks, budget permitting. Mine is a LWB fuel injected version. Yes you can still buy them spanking new out here:D.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I SOOOO want to go there!!! So beautiful and no people, pretty appealing!

Good for EFI, I would hate to be monkeying around with a carb under those alt changes and extremes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts