Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ve told that the transfer would have some troubles , given that my Vitara has differents tire sizes in front and rear axles. I find hard to believe that, because the transfer is specifically designed for that, for handling different rotations and power to both axles, is it not?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
You would have to inform us, which vehicle you are talking about before any intelligent discussion can resume...

.. Philip

·
Super Moderator
13,718 Posts
As Philip has pointed out, without the vehicle details, there's no way to provide a meaningful response.

You're posting about a Vitara, in a Grand Vitara forum, for a model which had no equivalent Vitara, so you're either in the wrong forum - or - you've opted to drop the Grand for brevity.

Any way you twist & turn it, running different sized tires on a 4WD is consider poor practice - if you do have the GV with the full time 4WD option, on which you can get away with it, the end result is going to be increased wear on the center differential - if what you have is the Vitara with the part-time 4WD option, you're going to end up with drive train "wind up" very rapidly, and with it the risk of destroying the drive train.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is GV 2007, 2L, it is permanent 4wd. i know the transfer ia working all the time, but in my opinion it should be a problem because that is what it was designed for. but i was told is that the transfer is build with some kinds of disc (similar to clutch) , and when there is a difference between rear and front axles, those disc begin to slip with each other. I ve not seen a transfer in the inside but i think i has to be something similar as any other differential, a gear box basically, i should that big of a problem having different sizes, I mean i know is a poor practice and the transfer is working permanently, but is this condition
that critical?

·
Super Moderator
13,718 Posts
Let me ask you this - would you use different size tires on the left and the right sides of the car - after all the differentials in the axles are designed to allow that - aren't they?

The differentials will allow it, but they are not designed to continuously differentiate in that fashion and they will wear faster - if you've seen inside a differential, you'd know that the diff gears don't rotate on bearings, they spin on hardened shafts.

Back to your transfer case - I couldn't tell you what specifically is in your transfer case as there were a couple of different options, one of which did include a limited slip diff, but it was most certainly not a clutch style LSD, and even if it was, you would not want to subject a clutch style LSD to that treatment - it would wear rapidly, and soon operate as an open differential.

Like the differentials in the axle, the one in the transfer case was not designed to be used with different sized tires front & rear, it was designed to differentiate when the vehicle negotiates a turn, so it will allow it, but it will wear faster.

Bottom line - it's your vehicle, it's your wallet - you've been correctly advised against it.

One last thing - what does your owner's manual tell you about replacing the tires?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for the feedback and sorry for my orthography , I was writing with cellphone.

Its clear the transfer is wearing faster,the thing is how badly.
From my point of view a transfer case on a 4WD is working 90% of the time. Because it works even with the smallest turn of steering (even when you can tell the car is going 100% straight), on the minimal bumb, it works, on the speed bumbs, it works. So in my conclusion, the transfer case should be built up to work almost all the time, because in real life that is what happens, 100% completely straight driving almost never
happen.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
ok thanks for the feedback and sorry for my orthography , I was writing with cellphone.

Its clear the transfer is wearing faster,the thing is how badly.
From my point of view a transfer case on a 4WD is working 90% of the time. Because it works even with the smallest turn of steering (even when you can tell the car is going 100% straight), on the minimal bumb, it works, on the speed bumbs, it works. So in my conclusion, the transfer case should be built up to work almost all the time, because in real life that is what happens, 100% completely straight driving almost never
happen.
Well, It is really a pointless discussion.

Having different tires front and rear, equals to constantly turning in a circle for your front and rear differential. Yes, it works (that is what it has been designed for) but the more you use it, the quicker it wears.

Why would you on purpose INCREASE the wear to a specific component in your car?

The fact that you keep asking this question, tells me that you have no idea to how the differentials work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Question is, unless you've staked 2 tyres and had to fit a different size to get you home, what logical reason would there be to fit multiple tyre sizes on any 4WD, let alone a constant 4WD. Maybe I'm missing something :mellow:

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
Let me throw this in the works...different tire SIZES could simply relate to different widths and / or profile aspect.

Having said that, the height (rolling circumference in other words) COULD thus be in keeping with the needed tire "size" compatibility fore and aft. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts