Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 2006 jlx+ and have a pulsating diff whine after 40mph if you ease of the throttle slightly it gets quieter. the dealer says this is normal on new jimnys. it has done it from new and i have done 1000 miles has anybody else had this problem.its drivin me mad .cheers!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
hello, dealers are full of it arent they, demand them to fix it, diffs should not whine unless they have a problem, my diff atm is grinding because i have a stuffed wheel bearing.
its a new car should be floorless, get it sorted.

·
Registered
251 Posts
interesting I have the same prob with my 94 Sidekick and only in 4th gear which is ~40mph, but my car is 12 years old though. Mine sounds like the bearing is going bad too, but why only in 4th gear???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear member,

I have a Suzuki Jimny 1991 model, I am informed that Suzuki's fuel consumtion is low. Mine consumes 1 litre per 12 kilometres. Would you tell me whether this fuel consumtion is low, medium or high?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The whine

For the first question

Sorry to tell you this but new Jimny's diffs do whine for about 3k - the Samurai did the same thing when new. So the dealer can not fix it as it is the type of oil used for the break in.

Secondly, the Jimny gets about 27-35 MPG on the highway/motorway - you will see people post numbers that are higher but I challenge someone to prove it. Suzuki has not been able to as of yet. It is an odd thing that people do - they do the same thing with the Samurai. The best any Samurai can hope for (stock) is 35 MPG and that is extremely rare. For instance my brand new (at the time) 1991 Fuel Injected Samurai never got better than 36 MPG no matter the driving conditions yet you will see people say they have 31"+ tyres and getting 40 MPG. Nuts that no matter what gear ratio they have

Currently, I have a 2006 Jimny Plus and have been experimenting with it and so far the best milage it has gotten was 33 MPG. That was only motorway driving, 65 MPH or lower and the RPM's almost never went above 3000. While doing another test I even tried keeping the speed down to 55 MPH and the revs around 2500 and the milage for that trip was 31 MPG. So guys you can believe people when they claim to get 45 MPG (such as Suzuki themselves) but I would not recommend it.

All my test were done on a flat and straight run of road, with no exceptional weather. The "course" is 40 miles each way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts