Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at installing a diesel engine, been eyeballing 1.9 VW TDI but came across a Renault 1.9 for about half the cost , anybody ever ventured down this path? Thanks

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Sanatana in Spain used to build both the Samurai and the Vitara (first gen Track/Kick) with a 1.9 TD Peugeot engine. I do know that the Vitara version used a different inlet manifold setup to the Pug.
The first gen Vitara is still made but with a later 2ltr TD Renault engine and is now badged as a Santana.

The Samurai engine is shown below:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
soooo awesome....

unfortunately you can't find those motors over here in the states very easily. Would probably be a much easier conversion than the VW since the renault/peugeot was designed to fit in the SJ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would think it should be possible to get a diesel from a wreck and have it exported to the US. No? have it sent in as a stationary powerplant. Similar to a Lister engine . . .
I'm a diesel fan and I've been mulling this over for a few years now. I'm certain it wouldn't be the least expensive but you'd have no/minimal issues with computers and other electrics.
It's a thought.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Another alternative (and likely cheaper) is to import a 1/2 cut of a 1995-1998 Japanese Suzuki Escudo Nomad or Mazda Proceed Levante over to North America. These vehicles used a 2.0 ltr. turbo diesel made by Mazda (the RF series motor). That is what I am currently investigating to do a swap in my 1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport. I expect it will bolt right in with a few issues to mod such as exhaust (steering column clearance) and some wiring only. If you get a 1/2 cut it comes with everything including all of the electronics, tranny, etc.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Another alternative (and likely cheaper) is to import a 1/2 cut of a 1995-1998 Japanese Suzuki Escudo Nomad or Mazda Proceed Levante over to North America. These vehicles used a 2.0 ltr. turbo diesel made by Mazda (the RF series motor). That is what I am currently investigating to do a swap in my 1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport. I expect it will bolt right in with a few issues to mod such as exhaust (steering column clearance) and some wiring only. If you get a 1/2 cut it comes with everything including all of the electronics, tranny, etc.
I think that you'd struggle to fit that engine and box into a normal SWB Track/Kick and really struggle to get it into a Sammy.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the fitment issues with the VW engines and the issue that you will have with the vitara 2.0L is that they were built for an IFS. The solid axel on the SJ413 gets in the way as well as the steering gear. You need a 3 inch lift just to clear the oil pan on a 1.6 vw diesel.

If you could find a wrecked santana with a diesel you could import the engine, but the costs would be HUGE.

·
Registered
192 Posts
serves me right... I just assumed most everyone here has a lift.
My bad.
But then, if you want to run the engine, you will figure out how to fit it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts