Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I made my own compression tester from parts I had and got made up for 1/5 the cost of a kit.

In making it I found that the compression expectations for a diesel and in particular the F9Q are around the 400 PSI (392) / 27+ BAR / 2700+ KPA.

Are there any issues with the required pressure requirements/capacity for a leak down test kit (and the compressor)

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,254 Posts
You can do it with 100psi, it is all relative, if you have a leak at that pressure you will need to address it.

Reactions: SuZulu

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done the Compression test and got cylinder 4 down by 40% compression.
I did a dodgy leak down by puting in 100psi and timing when the compressor lost pressure down to 90PSI whan all cylinders where at mid point in the stroke.
minimal difference between cylinders now to borrow a real leak down test kit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm getting my head around what and how my F9Q works.
Is there an easy way to identify TDC besides the stick going up and down?

I did a dodgy leak down test by input of 100PSI and compared the time it took all cylinders to drop to 90psi by when the conmpressor started up again (set at 90psi to restart) that was with all cylinders in mid stroke.
very little difference in time.

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
Leak down at tdc compression stroke.
Stick down the hole is about the only way 5o check tdc on each cylinder as the timing marks are only for #1

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
Are we talking about an inline four cylinder engine? TDC on #1 is also TDC on #4, TDC on #2 & #3 will be 180*, or one half turn of the crank. Yes, I'm aware this doesn't tell you when it's on the compression stroke, but then neither does the stick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts