Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Suzuki Sidekick JX sport that I'd like to do a diesel conversion for, is it possible? I've seen a lot for non sport models and very little for this. Any help would be great

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
In theory, it should be an 'easy swap' as the same body and frame used on the Sport model was fitted with diesel engines from the factory. I believe for the most part these diesel motors came from other manufacturers. If you can find a donor diesel, it would be "easy." (Some of these diesel powered Vitaras (Sidekicks) had other "badges" and model names on them... I believe there was even one model sold as a Mazda!)

Unfortunately, these diesel rigs and the Sport models were sold in different markets. You did not state your location, so I haven't a clue of what might be available local to you, but I would expect if you are in a market where the Sport was first sold, you'll have a hard time finding a diesel that will bolt in.

There are kits to install VW diesels into "normal" trackicks.... but as Mario says, VERY involved.

·
Registered
303 Posts
What do you mean very involved?
very involved as in you will need custom wireing harnesses (possibly homebrew),adapter plate and clutch/ torque converter. motor mounts. you may need to have the power train rebuilt to handle the power of a diesel. the fuel system will need modification, ECU to keep the new engine happy.

not trying to scare you but its a huge project

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 1996 Suzuki Sidekick JX sport that I'd like to do a diesel conversion for, is it possible? I've seen a lot for non sport models and very little for this. Any help would be great
Very possible. All depends how much you want to spend or what you are capable of. You can buy a lot of gas for the cost/time of a diesel swap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts