Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have an 86 samurai. everytime i hit a bump while im driving it, it dies. i pop the hood and there is fuel everywhere around the carb. it's aprears to bee leaking from some sort of valve lever on the carb. and now its worse. it will start and idle perfect, rev up fine, as soon as i put it into gear and try and go it dies. help!!!!!

my GEUSS is that its the power valve in the carb, should i rebuild it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My SJ410 had an AISIN Carb installed when I bought it. Not sure if its the same for yours. Here's a little past experience I had.

Checked the fuel hose connections and make sure nothing is loose. Use a hose clamp if necessary, its cheap and just to be sure.

Are there any tears around the connecting end of the hose to the carb? Change the hose if required.

Also, there's a "float" inside the carb that controls/limits the flow of fuel into the carb that you might want to check. You might want to check the float/lever to make sure it's working properly or the carb would overflow and thus fuel spilling out all over.

About the Engine dying suddenly, you might want to also check the mini fuel filter inside the carb for impurities/blockage. Mine had similar problem till i had the filter replaced.

Hope this helps.....Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, ill check the lines, im gonna rebuild it anyway. but the internal filter can cause it to die when i hit a hard bump?

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the internal filter is clogged, it blocks the fuel from getting into the next chamber where air/fuel gets mixed for burining. In simpler terms, fuel supply to the engine gets suddenly cut off, so, no fuel = engine dead....sorry, not a trained mechanic, don't know the proper part name :eek:P

When that happens, you get an overflow where the fuel would spill out from the air intake hose.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hehe, maybe we're separated by a comon language...when you say "rebuilding", i assume you mean repair/replacing internal parts right?

in my case, yes, it fixed all the problems. start-up, idle, rev up = ok, fuel spilling all over, engine dying whenever i put into gear.

you might also want to check on your fuel filter, usually located on the hose near the fuel tank. just to make sure it's not clogged up as well. It's a white semi-clear plastic. cheap but important as well. (see photo)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Get one that is made of clear/white plastic, easy for your to check if it's dirty/clogged and needs replacing. You could check out this link.

eBay Motors: Fuel Filter, 85-88 SUZUKI TRUCK All Models ( 4-1300 1.3 (item 110243470335 end time Apr-19-08 19:53:00 PDT)

It's installed along the fuel hose between your fuel tank and the carb. Usually near the fuel tank, so you may have to get under the chasis to check.

I had mine moved from below the chasis (near fuel tank) and placed under the hood near the carb so I didn't have to crawl under everytime i check.

·
Registered
269 Posts
ok, i have an 86 samurai. everytime i hit a bump while im driving it, it dies. i pop the hood and there is fuel everywhere around the carb. it's aprears to bee leaking from some sort of valve lever on the carb. and now its worse. it will start and idle perfect, rev up fine, as soon as i put it into gear and try and go it dies. help!!!!!

my GEUSS is that its the power valve in the carb, should i rebuild it?
Check the gasket where the float is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same problem

It started out when i hit a speed bump kinda hard and the Zuki died. It would turn over but I had to pump the gas pedal and really rev it to keep it going. It starts fine but as soon as it reachs operating temp it dies unless you keep reving the engine???
Let me know what you find out about yours and if you have any suggestions for me let me know.

:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, well i found the MAIN problem. the carb was all gummed up. not to mention the "thermo unit" that has 2 coolant line going into it seemed to be siezed and the secondary throttle valve was not working at all. according to all my diagrams the vacuum lines were all correct. when i switched some around the secondary began working. then it took about 10-15 min of struggling to keep it running and adjusting the cable and idle it ran awsome and started no prob. BUT it stutters at low rpm, beside that it has alot morepower and didnt die. im gonna junk the stock carb with a weber 32/36 like i did to my datun. that carb is way too fuckin complicated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some progress

You are right that carb sucks. Way to complicated for anyone.
I spent some time on this afternoon replacing some vac lines and cleaning out the carb. I got it up to operating temp and it didn't die...yeah buddy. Has a little roughness at idle so I'm gonna play around with it somemore.
I've read about the webers on the Sammy's amd everyone likes them. Are they tough to set up? whats a decent price for one???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check automatic choke, is the most likely cause, when you hit a bump it may be opening and chocking the motor. i removed my atomatic choke and purckased a manual choke kit for 20 australian dollars and have been going good. automatic chokes go wrong and would advise anyone to discard them.
good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts