Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sami is sucking air where the carb is screwed(?) together I also noticed permatex on top and bottom of base gasket. So went to autozone to get base gasket. They say it doesn't have carb. Ok I'm not an Asa mech. but I no a carb when I see one!
So has it been swapped or is autozone wrong AGAIN!
How do I no what year carb intake etc?
And what vac lines an ele. Wires can I remove without making more problems???
No emissions check here. Cat converter removed by previous owner.
If I had the smarts to do it I would throw all that Sh* t in the trash including computer!
Any help greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
12,345 Posts
That depends - where was the 93 Sami built for - a US market Sami would have been fuel injected (TBI) from 90 onward - it's very easy to mistake throttle body injection for a carburetor.

Doesn't the fact that it has a computer suggest it might have fuel injection?

Time to apologise to the guys at Autozone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Doesn't the fact that it has a computer suggest it might have fuel injection?

The Hitachi carb that came on US models had an ECU that:

took inputs from...
an O2 sensor
pair of micro switches for the throttle
a barometric switch
engine coolant and engine compartment temperature switches
and a 5th gear switch in the transmission

It used all this to control..
a mixture control solenoid
a vent solenoid in the float bowl
idle up actuator
vacuum secondary
fuel cut valve
and the EGR valve.

so yes it would have a computer if it had a carburetor and one that was just as complex as if not more complex than one that would run a TBI.

MorelDawg

A '93 samurai would have had a TBI if it was sold in the US. If the carb has no wires coming from it and just hoses for fuel, vacuum advance, and water choke then it might be a Webber. Any carb would have a float bowl sticking out to the side of the barrels and would be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a Sami carb uploading photos for first time awaiting approval
Carb is setting next to me on table.
They used permatex on base gasket and u can see it on intake gasket. Two large green plug and smaller yellow one 10 wires total. And a lot of vac lines.
So fordum unless tbi has a float. Not sayn I'm sorry just yet. Lol

·
Super Moderator
12,345 Posts
It's a Sami carb uploading photos for first time awaiting approval
Carb is setting next to me on table.
They used permatex on base gasket and u can see it on intake gasket. Two large green plug and smaller yellow one 10 wires total. And a lot of vac lines.
So fordum unless tbi has a float. Not sayn I'm sorry just yet. Lol
You still owe them an apology - what you have is either not a 93 Sami, or, not the original fuel system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They ordered the gasket. Just had to go back to an 80's model.
How do I no what year or are all rebuild kits the same?
Not rebuilding at this time bottom carb screws and top screws were very loose so Gona locktite them and reinstall.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as autozone the employee has a tracker and tells me the drivetrain is the same as a samurai.
We all no that ain't so.
I believed him when replacing rear bearings and brakes found out they ain't the same but maybe he don't consider the rear end drivetrain?
Lol

·
Super Moderator
12,345 Posts
Hey - there are quite a few Samurais out there with Tracker drivetrains in them - maybe he never saw an unmolested one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
in the VIN number the 10th character is for the year model

G='86
H='87
J='88

those are the only ones I found in the suzuki factory service manual I have but it only covers '86 and '87. You might try putting your VIN into an online VIN decoder and see if it will tell you what year it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes have ordered from them recently. Very good service.
Can i eliminate the water choke? I guess that's what it's called. Back of carb 2 lines had coolant in them. If so how and is there and electric or hand choke conversion.
Screws holding top and bottom of carb together were loose locktite and fingers crossed
Thx

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know if there is any electric or manual conversion for the choke but the water choke works well just make sure all the linkages are freed up. You should be able to easily push the choke plate open with a finger when it is closed and it should snap back shut when you release it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks. Just tryn to eliminate problems. Choke is always about 2/3 shut. What about those 10 wires all important. Cat. Removed wires cut things missing bad or in hooked grounds. Shade tree I guess.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey - there are quite a few Samurais out there with Tracker drivetrains in them - maybe he never saw an unmolested one.

Or maybe the kid has no idea what he is talking about and should go back to school, before giving customers advice that costs them $$$$$ and time.........
Not an Auto Zone fan.
Nice friendly people, Cheep Chinese parts. My experience and opinion only.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree boxcar a different autozone said they could test module after I pull dist. And take it up there oh no we can't test that. I was not happy they will get a email Soon.
Back to my Sami probs. locktited screws new gaskets. Will idle give it gas and it dies!
Soooo done with this carb. Everyone says the are great ya when they work right sure they are.
But this one is not working rite so how bout a good ole Holley carb anyone ever use one on a Sami?
My dad and uncle ran dirt track so we no how to work on those with eyes shut.
There is way to much Junk that can fail on the Sami carb. I'm looking for one vac line and no ele wires! Old school.
We are not smarter than our parents or grandparents! Lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts