Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Detroit EZ locker in the rear end of the samurai. Once in a while when you are on the gas hard it will clunk very loudly and the samurai will jerk to the left. It doesn't do it all the time just once in a while. The guy I bought it from said that was normal with the locker, is this correct?

·
Registered
149 Posts
yep, mine did the same thing and I was also told it was "normal". Mine would also buck and jerky very badly if I was going relly slow and turning very tightly.
I got rid of the Detroit locker and got ARB air lockers... my only regret is that I didn't go ARB from the start.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like mine as well. As the locker locks and unlocks you get torque steer, and once in a great while a loud bang as the axle torque releases. I learned, like most owners, to change my driving style slightly when on asphalt -- and to be alert for torque steer if/when getting on & off the throttle in corners. I'm willing to deal with its quirks to have it offroad. An open differential is really one-wheel drive when you most need it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
its what most autolockers do. Things to help while on road are to keep power through a turn, don't let off the throttle. When making small movements like lane changes it will randomly lock/unlock on you, be ready for that with a firm grip on the wheel. DON'T drive onroad in snowy or slippery conditions.

If your rig is primarily off road only then an autolocker is great. For an onroad vehicle that gets occasional off road use then get a selectable locker. I'd rather have the diff welded than daily drive on-road with an autolocker in a samurai.

·
Registered
32 Posts
its what most autolockers do. Things to help while on road are to keep power through a turn, don't let off the throttle. When making small movements like lane changes it will randomly lock/unlock on you, be ready for that with a firm grip on the wheel. DON'T drive onroad in snowy or slippery conditions.

If your rig is primarily off road only then an autolocker is great. For an onroad vehicle that gets occasional off road use then get a selectable locker. I'd rather have the diff welded than daily drive on-road with an autolocker in a samurai.
This is the main reason i put my locker up front, so that it is invisible when the hubs are unlocked. It makes a huge difference off-road as well, although I can't compare it to a rear locker, i still like it. I never use 4-wheel on pavement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad to hear thats normal, it will be one thing I can take off my list of things to fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts