Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a detroit ez locker in the rear axle of my samurai that clanks every once in a while. I have 4.57 yukon gears in it and I would like to keep my gears but get rid of the locker. Can I easily take the locker out and put a spool in?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spool

Once you pull the 3rd member out count the number of turns on the adjustment, then install the spool and put the adjustment back the same amount of turns and your good to go.:)

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Ok, yes, it is an easy swap.
But are you looking to make a trail-only vehicle?
The EZ locker may have a few quirks (like an occasional popping), but it is still streetable. The spool will be maintenance free and great for the trail, but if you didn't like the popping on the street, the spool won't get you less attention when trying to turn a corner. Make sure you use a turn signal because the cops will be watching you closely as you squeal around each turn.
:cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
E-Z Locker or Lock-Rite?

Which do you prefer?

I intend on installing on front diff so not to be in use unless we are off-road and have the hubs engaged. The "popping" will for sure remind me to disengage the hubs :)

No real rock climbing, just snow in the winter and the beach otherwise.

The only time I have been stuck was a freeking cross-pile of snow at an intersection the grader left. If the front wheels were locked probably could have climbed thru it:lol:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Which do you prefer?

I intend on installing on front diff so not to be in use unless we are off-road and have the hubs engaged. The "popping" will for sure remind me to disengage the hubs :)

No real rock climbing, just snow in the winter and the beach otherwise.

The only time I have been stuck was a freeking cross-pile of snow at an intersection the grader left. If the front wheels were locked probably could have climbed thru it:lol:

Thanks!
Both automatic lockers are almost identical (almost) but they are pretty much equal in reaction and strength. I started with my first (lockright) locker in the front axle. It was for the same reason you mentioned. Just remember to lock the hubs BEFORE heading into the slush and mud.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I take the 3rd member from the rear that has the locker in it and put the whole 3rd member in the front axle or is it different?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Can I take the 3rd member from the rear that has the locker in it and put the whole 3rd member in the front axle or is it different?
Yes, but with a qualifier... see *26 spline front axle upgrade.

The axle shafts are different sizes. 22 spline in front and 26 spline in the rear.
The early sammy's had identical front and rear differentials with the only difference being the sidegears that the shafts slide into, so you could swap diff carriers with only a sidegear swap.
Changing stock sidegears
In the later years the front differential changed to a weaker (known as 2 pin) carrier. I would not suggest putting a 2 pin carrier in the rear although it would be physically possible.
*You can now purchase stronger replacement front axles that are built with 26 splines that will allow you to swap back and forth (front to rear and back) without changing gears.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lock Right 1510

From what I read I need this model in 87 Sammy, front diff. Shopping I see sets on Ebay with 2 plates, some washers and pins, but on Amazon there is an extra middle casting? all a little over 200 bucks

Tried to cut and paste photos with no success...

Dazed and confused!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Most pix of the locker (advertising pix) show the sidegears/couplers also. You can actually get a kit that comes with new sidegears (see below). They work, but not as smooth as stock sidegears. Just use your stock sidegears. The center pieces (drivers) are the actual locker.

From PowerTrax:
"Lock-Right models #1510 and #1512 are designed to work with the stock sidegears in the vehicle. Powertrax supplies gears that mate with these sidegears. These units work exceptionally well except on vehicles with a high amount of mileage and therefore worn sidegears. Rather than replacing the sidegears with factory gears, simply install Lock-Right model #1530 or #1532. Lock-Right models #1530 and #1532 replace the factory sidegears."

Again, use your factory sidegears...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got the locker out of the rear axle and my spool put in. I haven't drove it yet because I am waiting till my right stuff gasket dries to add oil in the rear end. Tommorrow I should be up and going. Spool swap was cake walk. I am getting rid of the locker if anybody is interested. I looks to be in excellent condition, no worn gears and no bad teeth. PM me if interested. I can send pics if wanted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
PM sent, sure I'm interested if it will go in the front diff of our 87. Know the model number?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drove the sammi with the spool in and I love it. I just could not get used to the clanking and banging with the locker. I know everybody says its normal but not to me. I would way rather hear tires being eaten off by the pavement when turning with a spool. Beer man, I sent you a PM. I do not know the model number of the locker.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Used Locker

Hey Billjohn, Racer37 has 4.57 Yokon Rear Gears in his 86 Sammy, would that have taken a different model Detroit EX Locker than I need for the front diff of my 87? We are "wheeling and dealing" :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To put in the front axle you would just need to use your stock side gears instead of the ones that came out of my rear axle because the spline count is different I believe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts