Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Chevy Tracker, 4 door, 1.6L 16 valve. auto, 2 wheel drive.
Let water get too low and cracked the block, Am replacing the engine with another 16 valve but I cant
find the VIN which is supposed to be stamped on the block, All I found was this ...
G16R172918. Is this Chevy, Suzuki, or something else?
Also the engine has all metal intake piping, no plastic.
Any help is appreciated as i need to find out the VIN number so I can run a carfax to get last recorded mileage.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I woud say that is the engine code and number G16B 172918 (R actually a B ?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I woud say that is the engine code and number G16B 172918 (R actually a B ?)
Possibly... The guy working on the car said that the numbers were under the manifold and
that the G looked odd. The way it was shaped.
I saw in your post saying Grand Vitara. Is that possibly what the motor was in originally?
Also, how can i back track this number to the original VIN?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
The number on the block is not the VIN only the engine code/number. Can you not find the above VIN number at any of the locations listed?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the Grand Vitara and the Tracker use the same engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The number on the block is not the VIN only the engine code/number. Can you not find the above VIN number at any of the locations listed?
I understand that... I do not have access to the donor vehicle. Only the motor...
Where on the motor should I look for the VIN?
I live in North Carolina and the motor came from a salvage yard in Virginia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you manage to find Vin's number? To be honest, I also recently had a problem with the search, but I was helped by the guides that I read on one service. I had to change the valves on the suzuki grand vitara

1 - 9 of 9 Posts